Wind River Unveils Cloud Suite and Free Cloud-Connected Operating Systems to Accelerate IoT
Via Wind River News
Nov 3, 2015
- Cloud suite simplifies and automates how developers create and deploy their IoT solutions, from consumer to industrial grade.
- Free cloud-connected, multi-architecture operating systems to accelerate everything from maker innovation to developer product commercialization.
- New offering further extends Wind River’s presence in the cloud and footprint at the edge to microcontrollers.
- Company also forms IoT developer program to provide enablement and support across the ecosystem.
ALAMEDA, Calif. – Nov. 3, 2015 – Wind River®, a global leader in delivering software for the Internet of Things (IoT), has significantly expanded its product portfolio with the introduction of a comprehensive cloud suite, Wind River Helix™ Cloud, and free cloud-connected multi-architecture operating systems, Wind River Rocket™ and Wind River Pulsar™ Linux. With these new products, Wind River not only grows its presence in the cloud, but further extends its well-established OS footprint at the edge beyond devices and gateways, to microcontrollers (MCUs).
“These key additions to our edge-to-cloud portfolio provide our customers and the developer community with a compelling and differentiated set of products that scale from experimentation to development to full commercial deployment,” said Barry Mainz, president of Wind River. “From makers to commercial developers, this new offering opens IoT application and device development to a wide range of individuals who want to participate in the IoT opportunity, and provides a foundational toolkit to greatly simplify and accelerate the development of IoT technologies across industries.”
Uniquely Edge to Cloud
With Wind River Helix Cloud, Wind River delivers a family of software-as-a-service (SaaS) products providing anytime, anywhere access to development tools, virtual labs, and deployed devices. It simplifies and automates how developers build and manage their IoT technologies throughout their entire lifecycle—from design and testing to deployment and decommissioning.
Wind River Helix Cloud SaaS products now available include:
• Wind River Helix App Cloud is a cloud-based development environment for building IoT applications.
• Wind River Helix Lab Cloud is a cloud-based virtual hardware lab for simulating and testing IoT devices and complex systems.
• Wind River Helix Device Cloud is a cloud-based platform for managing deployed IoT devices and their data.
A critical component of simplifying edge-to-cloud development is having an OS that can support connectivity and communications between the device and the cloud. Based on Wind River commercially proven OS technology and expertise, the following free cloud-connected operating systems are now available:
• Wind River Rocket is a tiny-footprint commercial-grade quality real-time operating system that is directly connected to Wind River Helix Cloud. It offers multi-architecture support, and is designed for applications running on 32-bit MCUs such as those used in small-footprint sensor hubs, wearables, and devices comprising the IoT edge.
• Wind River Pulsar Linux is a small-footprint commercial-grade quality binary Linux OS based on the Wind River Linux distribution that is directly connected to Wind River Helix Cloud. It offers multi-architecture support, and is designed to run on applications scaling from 32-bit MCUs to 64-bit CPUs.
Wind River Rocket and Wind River Pulsar Linux are platform-independent, and in addition to support for Intel® and ARM® architectures, will support a range of mainstream commercial boards. This will provide application portability across devices for customers and foster an open collaborative ecosystem.
Wind River Helix Cloud, Wind River Rocket, and Wind River Pulsar Linux are part of the Wind River Helix portfolio of products advancing IoT, from the secure and managed intelligent sensors and devices at the edge, through gateways, across the network, and up into the cloud.
IoT Ecosystem and Developer Enablement
To further enable a collaborative IoT ecosystem, Wind River is working closely with leading companies that share a common vision for IoT. Wind River ecosystem launch partners include: ADLINK, Advantech, Autodesk, Avnet, BeagleBoard.org, Cypress Semiconductor Corp, Datalight, Freescale, HCL Technologies, HPE, Kontron, NimbeLink, Microsoft, Oracle, Polarian, Predixion, PTC/Thingworx, Salesforce, Tata Consultancy Services, Texas Instruments, TQ Systems, UbiquiOS, Wibu Systems, and Xilinx.
The company has also formed the Wind River Helix Developer Program to support and advance the IoT developer community. The world-class program comprises a robust ecosystem of technology partners, including silicon, independent software vendor (ISV), original equipment manufacturer (OEM), original design manufacturer (ODM), system integrator, cloud, and operator partners.
"Wind River’s expanded Helix product portfolio and initiatives to advance the developer ecosystem will deliver unparalleled opportunities to accelerate and promote the use of standards-based IoT solutions, and are well aligned with ADLINK’s vision for the future. ADLINK’s Computer-On-Modules - specially the SMARC series - combined with Wind River’s new edge-to-cloud technologies will help to redefine the way devices connect to the Internet by facilitating efficient and secure communications, irrespective of MCU or board architecture.”
- Dirk Finstel, executive vice president, module computer segment, ADLINK
"Advantech and Wind River share a common goal of rapidly enabling the Internet of Things in a highly cost-effective, multi-architectural way. Wind River’s new cloud technologies and developer community initiatives embody this shared vision; and for customers looking to speed time-to-market, Advantech offers software services that will streamline Rocket-related development for Advantech M2.COM."
- Miller Chang, vice president of embedded computing group, Advantech
“The combination of Wind River’s embedded software expertise, coupled with Avnet’s hardware strength, enable our customers to leverage open source development, run an always-updated distribution, strengthen security, and increase efficiency in their software development cycles. We will create joint value with this certified, pre-tested Linux solution running on our Avnet created PicoZed, MicroZed, Mini-ITX, and AgateRP platforms that can always be updated on the go. The “OS-in-the-box” approach is the future for OSVs and ODMs.”
- Tim Barber, senior vice president global design chain business development, Avnet
“Beagleboard.org is pleased to have Wind River’s latest cloud connected operating systems running on the highly popular Beagleboard community-supported hardware. We believe this will add capability to the community, as well as foster and advance the development of innovative production–ready products."
- Christine Long, executive director, BeagleBoard.org
“With the extension of Wind River’s technology footprint to MCUs with its new edge-to-cloud products, our customers now have a compelling offering to accelerate IoT development. Our customers are looking for these types of turnkey software solutions that bring the programmability and design flexibility of our PSoC and MCU hardware to the cloud.”
- John Weil, vice president of MCU marketing, Cypress Semiconductor Corp
“Wind River’s new operating systems and cloud technologies align well with Freescale’s vision of secure, embedded solutions at every node. This edge-to-cloud offering will let customers quickly and easily deploy smart connected IoT products based on Freescale’s world-class, easy-to-use solutions.”
- Emmanuel Sambuis, executive director for microcontrollers, Freescale Semiconductor
"Our customers are looking for new opportunities to capture business value from the growing volume of data generated through connected devices and sensors. Wind River’s new edge-to-cloud solution is well positioned to accelerate IoT, and we look forward to fulfilling a joint vision to enable anyone deploying an IoT solution to securely connect, build, and monetize data for business ROI."
- Dr. Tom Bradicich, general manager and vice president, Hyperscale Servers and IoT systems, HPE
"Robust, certifiable software in IoT solutions is a necessity. We view Wind River’s operating system and cloud technologies as a powerful edge-to-cloud offering to accelerate the development cycle for customers, including certification and production. Their new products will complement (serve as a foundation for) our Skywire end-device certified cellular modems that are available in a wide variety of configurations; edge-to-cloud, edge-to-gateway, edge-to-enterprise. Having a common development platform just makes sense.”
- Kurt Larson, chief technology officer, NimbeLink
“Wind River is a leader with a clear vision to continuously enhance their portfolio, and with their streamlined edge-to-cloud capabilities they are enabling developers to rapidly take IoT development to the next level. By combining the power of the new Wind River edge-to-cloud offering with the innovative ThingWorx® platform, developers will be able to take advantage of a strong business and technical relationship between two IoT market innovators who are pushing to make IoT development easier without sacrificing flexibility.” - Russ Fadel, president and general manager, ThingWorx, a PTC business
"Tata Consultancy Services and Wind River share a common goal of rapidly enabling the IoT in a highly cost-effective, multi-architectural way. Wind River’s new offerings to advance IoT and enable the ecosystem, embody this shared vision; and for customers looking to reduce their time-to-market, TCS offers software services that streamline Rocket-related development for building IoT solutions."
- V Rajanna, vice president and global head, technology business unit, Tata Consultancy Services
“Cost-effective deployment of IoT applications requires silicon solutions that scale from low-cost wireless MCUs to higher-performance microprocessors, such as TI’s SimpleLink™ Wi-Fi CC3200 wireless MCUs, SimpleLink CC2650 ultra-low-power wireless MCUs, and Sitara™ AM335x processors to provide the range of choices a customer needs. Wind River’s free cloud-connected operating systems complement our silicon offering by enabling customers to use a common software solution across multiple TI connected devices and start IoT application development quickly.”
- Gil Reiter, director of strategic marketing for IoT, Texas Instruments (TI)
“Xilinx’s new Zynq® UltraScale+™ MPSoC offers a heterogeneous processing platform that includes ARM A53 application processors, ARM R5 real-time processors, and Mali 400 GPU, within a complete processing subsystem that is tightly coupled with latest programmable logic technology. When combined with Wind River’s new offering, this solution will enable system architects to quickly and efficiently realize their connected IoT designs from the edge to the cloud.“
- Satish Swarnkar, senior director, embedded software marketing, Xilinx
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.