HP Elite x2 is the world’s first to combine solid security, manageability, and serviceability in a stunning design
PALO ALTO, Calif., November 19, 2015 — HP Inc. today announced the HP Elite x2 – an incredibly versatile tablet that offers the productivity of a full notebook with the convenience of a tablet perfectly designed for the mobile professional.
“We designed the HP Elite x2 to be thin, light and powerful in a way that captures the simplicity and elegance users will love while also delivering the durability, serviceability, security and manageability IT departments need to enable true mobile productivity,” said Michael Park, vice president and general manager, Mobility, Personal Systems, HP Inc.
New level of design and performance
The Elite x2 is a premium design from HP, crafted from milled CNC aluminum with a focus on aesthetics. At just 8.1 mm thin,1 the tablet weighs less than two pounds 2 and has a built-in kickstand with 150 degrees of adjustability, allowing a user to set the device upright for viewing and keyboard typing or laying it back for on-screen typing. The device’s 12-inch diagonal anti-glare HD diagonal display has a 3:2 aspect ratio and automatically adjusts to different lighting conditions.
Performance is paramount for mobile professionals, which is why the Elite x2 has long battery life3 , features Windows 10 and is built with a 6th generation Intel® Core™ M vPro™ processor optimized for high performance with power efficiency4 with and SSD technology, enabling a fanless, virtually silent computing experience with no moving parts. The Elite X2 allows end users to easily collaborate with co-workers and customers with premium audio tuned by Bang & Olufsen and HP Noise Reduction Software to ensure conference call attendees can hear and be heard with superb quality and clarity.
Like the rest of HP’s Elite lineup, the Elite x2 is built to last and designed to pass MIL-STD testing5 to meet the rigors of whatever business environment the device may face. The device also features added durability with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 screen and two grades of aluminum alloy to ensure the right balance between strength and weight.
The Elite x2 is designed with the ports commercial users need by including both Thunderbolt™ 3 and USB-A ports. The device also incorporates an optional, built-in 4G LTE modem offering the convenience of connectivity virtually anywhere without the need for tethering.6 Based on industry-leading technology provided by Qualcomm Technologies, the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X5 LTE modem provides fast and reliable connectivity and supports all major 3G/4G networks.
To enable flexible content creation on the go, the Elite x2 includes the HP Active Pen with App Launch as a standard feature. Based on industry-standard WACOM technology, the pen has integrated pressure sensors to help control the width of lines when writing or drawing onscreen. The pen also includes App Launch, a programmable Bluetooth® application launch button to quickly launch OneNote or any other favorite Windows application.
To address the spectrum of end-user needs, the Elite x2 provides a choice of two optional, enterprise-class, full-sized, backlit keyboards for an unrivaled content creation experience.7 Both keyboards are leveraged from the HP EliteBook Folio 1020 and layered in a stiff aluminum base to create incredible torsional rigidity and stability that rivals a traditional laptop form factor. The HP Advanced Keyboard features an NFC sensor in the touchpad and a built-in smart card reader for greater log-in security. If the HP Advanced Keyboard is disconnected, the Elite x2 will automatically log off the domain to keep information secure. The HP Travel Keyboard offers users a thinner keyboard solution, adding only 395 grams in weight while still delivering a full 1.5mm keyboard travel and a true clickpad for incredible productivity on the go.
Designed for uncompromised productivity, the Elite x2 includes three optional wired and wireless docking solutions. The Thunderbolt 3 port on the Elite x2 easily docks to the HP Elite USB-C Docking Station for dual 2K displays or the HP Elite Thunderbolt 65W Dock for dual 4K displays. The Elite X2 can also dock to the HP Advanced Wireless Docking Station through WiGig technology that enables fast wireless connectivity to the network, displays and devices.8 And the power pass-through feature in the USB-C™ port on the device allows users to confidently stay charged for a full work day, while also recharging their favorite smartphones and accessories.
Finally a versatile tablet that IT will love
Security and manageability are top concerns among IT decision makers as they enable greater mobile productivity for their users. To address these needs, the Elite x2 is the first tablet designed with the unique combination of BIOS-level security with integrated HP Sure Start, manageability featuring HP Touchpoint Manager9 and an optional Intel® Core™ M vPro™ processor, and easy onsite maintainability.10
The Elite x2 comes with a host of built-in, not bolted on, security capabilities, including HP Sure Start with Dynamic Protection, HP Client Security, TPM, and an optional fingerprint reader or smart card reader, all working together to protect the device, data and user identity. And with an optional Intel Core™ M vPro™ processor, IT can power on and remotely manage the Elite x2 over both wired and wireless networks along with other unique hardware enhancements.11
Today’s modern workforce requires devices that are mobile, durable and reliable. The kickstand can be replaced by the user by simply removing two screws, and in the event that a device requires maintenance, the Elite x2 is designed for easy serviceability to reduce system downtime and keep users productive. If the device is dropped or needs more involved repairs, serviceable components – like the battery, LCD/touch module, storage, system board, and WLAN and WWAN modules – can be easily taken apart and repaired or replaced by HP self-maintainers or service technicians. That means IT can maintain end-user productivity with timely and less expensive in-field repairs by simply removing the screen and replacing internal components.
To make it easy to integrate the Elite x2 into an existing infrastructure, HP offers a range of services and 24/7 support across 180 countries and 230,000 channel partners, including the ability to buy the device from a global SKU. Large customers get the convenience of ordering off one single global SKU code instead of worrying about managing country specific SKUs and part numbers. In addition, hardware and service components are orderable in every country worldwide.
Pricing and availability12
The HP Elite x2 1012 is expected to start shipping in the United States in early January at www.hpshopping.com and through HP’s robust channel partners and direct sales force. Customers can pre-order the Elite x2 starting on Monday, November 23, 2015, which will have a starting price of $899 and include the HP Travel Keyboard and HP Active Pen with App Launch.
For more information on the Elite x2, visit www.hp.com/go/elitex21012.
- Tablet only without keyboard.
- Weight will vary by configuration.
- Windows 10 MM14 battery life will vary depending on various factors including product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality, and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage. See www.bapco.com for additional details.
- Multicore is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. Performance and clock frequency will vary depending on application workload and your hardware and software configurations. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
- MIL STD 810G testing is pending and is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. MIL STD and HP Total Test Process test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions. Damage under these test conditions or any accidental damage requires an optional HP Accidental Damage Protection Care Pack.
- WWAN module is optional, must be configured at the factory and requires separately purchased service contract. Check with service provider for coverage and availability in your area. Connection speeds will vary due to location, environment, network conditions, and other factors. 4G LTE not available on all products, in all regions.
- Optional features sold separately or as add on features.
- The WiGig-compatible notebook or tablet must be positioned within 1.2 m (4 ft) and without obstruction in the line of sight of the wireless dock. HP Advanced Wireless Docking is compatible with the HP Elite x2 1012 G1 with an optional installed Intel Tri Band Wireless AC with WiGig Combo card available at the time of purchase.
- HP Touchpoint Manager requires purchase of a subscription and supports Android™, iOS and Windows 7 or higher operating systems and PCs, notebooks, tablets and smartphones from various manufacturers. Not available in all countries see www.hp.com/touchpoint for availability information.
- Serviceable by HP Support, HP Certified Technicians, HP Authorized Service Providers or participants in the HP Self-Maintainer Program. See hp.com/partners/SMprogram for more details.
- Some vPro functionality, such as Intel® Active management technology and Intel Virtualization technology, requires additional 3rd party software in order to run. Microsoft Windows required.
- Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
Qualcomm is a trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries, used with permission.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.