HP Eliminates Ink Anxiety, Slashes Ink Costs up to 50 percent with New Instant Ink Printers
Via HP (US)
Sep 2, 2015
Customers can print what matters most and never run out of ink for less than a coffee a month
PALO ALTO, September 1, 2015 — HP today unveiled the expansion of its rapidly growing Instant Ink replacement service to its new HP ENVY, OfficeJet and DeskJet printers. The new printers come HP Instant Ink ready and offer a choice of monthly and yearly ink subscription plans starting at only $2.99 a month.
With HP Instant Ink, customers select a plan based on how much they want to print and HP takes care of the rest. You never run out of ink, and printing costs up to 50 percent less. (1) Eliminating the anxiety of running out of ink at the worst time, the new fall line comes with smart cartridges in the box that can reorder ink before they run out and deliver it directly to the customer’s door.
HP Instant Ink is one of the fastest growing web-based paid services, adding more than one new customer every minute of every day. (2) In fact, a recent survey conducted by Harris Poll found 62 percent of those who intend to purchase a printer in the next year would be interested in an ink delivery service like HP Instant Ink. (3)
“Customers want printing to be affordable, convenient and meaningful,” said Stephen Nigro, senior vice president, Imaging and Printing, HP. “With HP Instant Ink, customers can enjoy low cost of ownership and print what matters most to them without the worry of running out of ink or spending too much.”
According to InfoTrends, the typical home user prints 43 pages per month on average.(4) With HP Instant Ink, this level of printing will cost only $2.99 per month or less than most pay for one morning coffee drink. (5)
Whether printing at home, for a small business or at college, customers can enjoy the lowest two year total cost of ownership available(6) with HP Instant Ink printers, printing high-quality photos as well as black and white or color documents for the same cost. And, there are no contracts, hidden costs or annual fees, so customers can easily modify their plan at any time.(7)
Recycling is simple with HP Instant Ink. The program provides prepaid envelopes to return used cartridges, lowering the carbon footprint related to ink cartridge purchase and disposal by an estimated 70 percent.(8)
HP Instant Ink Expansion
The new HP printers are HP Instant Ink ready with the sign-up experience integrated into the printer set-up out of the box, making it simple to begin the convenience and savings on day one. Customers can quickly choose the plan that works for them or choose the traditional model of purchasing ink at retail or online when they run low.
Additionally, for the first time, HP is offering the choice of one or two year HP Instant Ink plans out of the box with the introduction of the HP OfficeJet 5741 and HP OfficeJet 5743.(9) These products offer maximum convenience and savings and deliver consistent, high-quality prints as well as mobile printing capabilities.
New HP Instant Ink-ready printers include:
- HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer: Designed for the connected household, this space-saving printer features the easiest way to print from a smartphone or tablet(10) and lab-quality photos, creative projects, hobbies and business documents.
- HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer: An affordable printer with a quick, five-minute mobile installation process so users can print from a smartphone or tablet with or without a router or local wireless network.(10) Users can also scan, copy, and access web content directly from the color touchscreen.
- HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One: Featuring HP’s mobile out-of-box experience,(11) this home office printer also includes a new auto deploy output paper tray, a touch-enabled display and fast print speeds.
- HP OfficeJet3830 All-in-One: Wireless enabled quality printing for everyday documents; convenient multipage faxing, scanning, and copying. Easy mobile setup(10) and easy mobile printing from tablets and smartphones.(10)
- HP OfficeJet 5741: Offers one year of HP Instant Ink in the box alongside print, fax, scan and copy features and simple wireless printing. (12)
- HP OfficeJet 5743: Offers two years of HP Instant Ink in the box in addition to simple wireless printing (12) and fax, scan and copy features.
Pricing and availability(13)
- The HP OfficeJet 5741 with one year of HP Instant Ink starts at $199 and is expected to be available in October.
- The HP OfficeJet 5743 with two years of HP Instant Ink starts at $299 and is expected to be available in October.
- The HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One printer starts at $99/€89 and is expected to be available in September.
- The HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer starts at $129/€109 and is expected to be available in September.
- The HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One printer starts at $99/€109 and is expected to be available in September.
- The HP OfficeJet 3830 printer starts at $79 and is expected to be available in September.
HP Instant Ink is currently available in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, France and Germany. Additional information about HP Instant Ink and the new generation of eligible HP printers is available at www.hp.com/go/instantink.
(1) Savings based on HP Instant Ink service plan price for 12 months and use of all pages in plan without purchase of additional pages compared to the cost per page (“CPP”) of the majority of color inkjet printers <$399 USD, market share reported by IDC Q2 2014. CPP comparisons for standard-capacity inkjet supplies are based on estimated street price and page yield as reported by gap intelligence MFP Weekly and IJP Weekly Reports 9/20/2014. Actual savings may vary depending on number of pages actually printed per month and content of pages printed.
(2) Based on HP internal data as of August 2015.
(3) This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of HP from August 27-31, 2015 among 2,029 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
(4) Based on 2014 InfoTrends Average Monthly Print Volume from Supplies Forecasts Data
(5) Zagat National Coffee Survey: https://www.zagat.com/coffee-trends. Based on the following: Average cost for a coffee drink = $3.28.
(6) Based on purchase price of any eligible II MSRP <$300 printer, with 50 page $2.99 month plan for 2 years.
(7) When upgrading the plan you can choose for the change to take effect in the current billing cycle or the next billing cycle. Cancellations and plan downgrades are effective after the last day of the current billing period. For service details, see hpinstantink.com.
(8) Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in 50 countries, territories, and regions in Asia, Europe, and North and South America through the HP Planet Partners program. For more information, visit www.hp.com/recycle.
(9) Customer must register for HP Instant Ink for cartridges to work.
(10) In comparison to the majority of consumer/home office inkjet all-in-one printers <$399 USD as of Nov 2014 based on market share as reported by IDC. App download required for printer setup; HP ePrint account registration may be required. Wireless operations are compatible with 2.4 GHz operations only. See hp.com/go/mobileprinting for more details.
(11) Requires HP All-in-One Printer Remote mobile app download and is compatible with iPhone® 4 and later, iPad® 4th generation, iPad mini™, iPad Air®, iPod®, and mobile devices using Android™ 4.0.3 or later. For a full list of supported operating systems, see hp.com/go/mobileprinting.
(12) Local printing requires mobile device and printer to be on the same network or have a direct wireless connection to printer. Wireless performance is dependent upon physical environment and distance from access point. Wireless operations are compatible with 2.4 GHz operations only. Remote printing requires an internet connection to an HP web-connected printer. App or software and HP ePrint account registration may also be required. Wireless broadband use requires separately purchased service contract for mobile devices. Check with service provider for coverage and availability in your area. See www.hp.com/go/mobileprinting for more details.
(13) Estimated retail prices. Actual pricing and availability may vary.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.