Telkom Indonesia and Alcatel-Lucent team to support national broadband growth
Jul 11, 2013
Doha and Paris, July 10, 2013 – Telkom Indonesia and Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext and NYSE: ALU) have today announced an agreement for Alcatel-Lucent to build a next-generation agile optical network in the Kalimantan and Sulawesi areas, as well as the greater Jakarta region, which generates around 50% of Telkom Indonesia’s data traffic.
The fiber-optic network, based on converged wavelength division multiplexing/optical transport (WDM/OTN) technology will enable Telkom Indonesia to provide 100 gigabits-per-second (100G) capability. This will cost-efficiently and effectively meet customer demands for increasingly sophisticated and high-bandwidth mobile services, including video, multimedia and other data-intensive applications.
• Telkom Indonesia currently provides high-speed broadband to more than 19 million customers and 125 million cellular customers.
• The 100G network will cover 50 percent of high-speed broadband traffic in Telkom Indonesia’s service area.
• Alcatel-Lucent is employing its 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) converged WDM/OTN platform to address the booming demand for high-bandwidth data services such as high-definition video streaming, next-generation mobile broadband applications and cloud services.
• The intelligent generalized multiprotocol label switching (GMPLS) Control Plane ensures automated network operation and highest service protection.
• 100G fiber-optic technology takes advantage of unique silicon innovations from Alcatel-Lucent’s Bell Labs and supports a capacity of up to 8.8 Terabit per second - the equivalent of 1.32 million HDTV channels streamed at thesame time - over a single optical fiber.
• Alcatel-Lucent Agile Optical Networking (AON) enables more cost-effective and efficient 100G networking with increased intelligence. It leverages the high-performance and economics of the Alcatel-Lucent Photonic Service Engine (PSE)-based 100G with high-capacity OTN, packet and photonic switching along with the automation of embedded network intelligence on the purpose-built 1830 PSS WDM platform.
Arief Yahya, The President Director of Telkom Indonesia, said: “The growing appetite for bandwidth hungry devices and applications is driving tremendous demand throughout our networks. We expect through Alcatel-Lucent’s Agile Optical Networking (AON) 100G optical transport solution, Telkom could provide high-capacity with the flexibility and efficiency to serve our customers today and in the future.”
Bobby Rasyidin, Alcatel-Lucent’s Senior Executive in Indonesia, said:“With geography spanning more than 17,000 islands, Telkom Indonesia was looking for a technology provider to build a network foundation that can serve a wide territory cost-efficiently and effectively. The work Alcatel-Lucent is doing will help create a common platform for network capacity and efficiency that covers 200 million residents of Indonesia.”
Helpful links:Agile Optical NetworkingThe Alcatel-Lucent single-carrier 100G coherent solution (website)The Alcatel-Lucent single-carrier 100G coherent solution (video)400G Photonic Service Engine (website)Paving the way the world’s first commercial 400G coherent solution (video)Alcatel-Lucent 1830 PSS photo
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
The long-trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a leading innovator in the field of networking and communications technology, products and services. The company is home to Bell Labs, one of the world's foremost research centers, responsible for breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry
Alcatel-Lucent innovations are regularly recognized by international institutions for their positive impact on society. In 2012 and for the second year running, Alcatel-Lucent was named one of the Thomson Reuters Top 100 Global Innovators, recognition for the company's continued addition to its world-class patent portfolio, one of the largest in the telecom industry. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for its sustainability performance. In 2012 the company was ranked Technology Supersector Leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Through its innovations, Alcatel-Lucent is making communications more sustainable, more affordable and more accessible as we pursue our mission of Realizing the Potential of a Connected World
With operations throughout the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach. The Company achieved revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.