Four OS vendors support Huawei's openEuler-powered Linux distribution platform
Mar 30, 2020
Mar 28, 2020
[Shenzhen, China, March 27, 2020] The openEuler community released the first Long-Term Support (LTS) edition, the openEuler 20.03 LTS, at Huawei Developer Conference 2020 (Cloud). In addition, Huawei joins with four leading OS vendors, Kylinsoft, iSoft, Uniontech, and the Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences (ISCAS), to announce the commercial editions powered by openEuler. The announcement marks a new milestone for the commercial readiness of openEuler-based operating systems. openEuler is set to take the multi-core heterogeneous computing industry to a new chapter.
The openEuler Community Charts New Territory, Boosting Innovation in the Multi-Core Heterogeneous Computing Industry
As the founding enterprise and main initiator of openEuler, Huawei is continuously investing in open source communities. As an open community, openEuler is a shared stronghold co-built by more and more global developers.
- On September 18, 2019, Huawei announced its OS to go open source at https://openeuler.org/en/ along with a milestone plan.
- On December 31, 2019, the openEuler source code was officially released. By March 25, the ISO has seen 5479 downloads, and a total of 5324 code contributions by 220 developers.
- On March 27, 2020, the openEuler 20.03 LTS edition is officially released in the open source community. This is the first LTS edition since the open source community went live.
Currently, organizations such as the openEuler community secretariat, technical committee, and security committee have started operations. Community participants have applied for and established more than 30 project teams.
openEuler LTS Signals Mass Commercial Readiness of the Open Source OS
The openEuler community will release an LTS edition every two years and an innovative edition every six months, and provide Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) management capability. openEuler will always adhere to the Upstream First policy and push all capabilities to the upstream open source community at the earliest possible time.
Based on Huawei's longstanding technical expertise and product know-how, the openEuler 20.03 LTS edition has demonstrated industry-leading stability and security. Building on full-stack software, it will fully unlock the power of diversified computing platforms.
- Multi-core high concurrency: The file cache management mechanism has been lock-free optimized, improving Nginx HTTP concurrency by 15%.
- Integrated KAE plug-in: Software/hardware collaboration drives the Kunpeng processor hardware accelerator, enabling the Kunpeng acceleration library to help improve performance by 10% to 100%.
- iSula lightweight container: Being lightweight, fast, easy-to-use, and flexible, it slashes startup time by 35%, and drives down memory resource consumption by 68%.
- openEuler community build of OpenJDK: It improves performance by 20% through optimization of memory management and compilation.
- A-Tune: It provides intelligent, scenario-specific auto-tuning to improve system tuning efficiency by 30%.
- Broad architecture support: Compatible with the architectures of processors such as Kunpeng and x86, the OS will support more processor architectures in the future.
Four OS Vendors Released Commercial Editions, Enriching the Computing Ecosystem
Leading vendors including Kylinsoft, iSoft, Uniontech, and ISCAS have actively supported the openEuler community, and take the lead to release commercial editions.
- Kylinsoft builds the Kylin Server OS based on openEuler kernels. It applies to multi-core heterogeneous computing scenarios, and is especially good at processing mission-critical services and data loads.
- iSoft launches iSoft Server OS V5.1 for Kunpeng, the first commercial release based on openEuler. iSoft will continue to support the openEuler community and help build openEuler towards a global leading community.
- Uniontech presents deepinEuler V1.0. The Kunpeng-based OS supports all new features of the Kunpeng processor and delivers compelling performance. With the continuous upgrade of deepinEuler and the improvement of the Kunpeng ecosystem, deepinEuler will see wider adoption in more scenarios.
- ISCAS has officially released the EulixOS Server 1.0. In the future, ISCAS will initiate an open source software supply lightening program, enabling the openEuler community with even better quality and sustainability.
openEuler Will Continuously Enable OS Vendors on the Technology and Service Fronts
The openEuler community will provide training, enablement, and certification to OS vendors and developers for upskill and service improvement. The openEuler technical summit is planned in April for extensive technical communication. Planning for openEuler 20.09 is also well underway.
openEuler is not only an open source and free Linux distribution platform, but also an innovative platform. It encourages everyone to propose new ideas and practice new solutions, together driving a prosperous application ecosystem.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.