Android and iOS own the smartphone market
Jan 29, 2013
Worldwide smartphone shipments increased 38 per cent annually in the fourth quarter of 2012 to 217m units, fueled by surging demand for devices running Android and iOS, research firm Strategy Analytics reports. Manufacturers shipped an estimated 152.1m Android phones during the final three months of 2012, nearly doubling from 80.6m units during the year-ago period. While Android now controls 70 per cent of the global smartphone market, Apple shipped 47.8m iPhones during Q4, up from 37m a year ago, corresponding to a market share of 22 per cent.
“Combined together, Apple and Android accounted for a record 92 per cent share of all smartphones shipped globally,” said Strategy Analytics. Rival platforms like BlackBerry and Windows Phone accounted for the remaining 8 per cent of international shipments.
FierceMobileContent: Android, iOS power record-high 92% of smartphone shipments in Q4; TelecomTV content partner.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.