Worldwide hardcopy peripherals market continued its decline in the third quarter despite growth in Asia/Pacific, according to IDC
Dec 5, 2016
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., December 2, 2016 – Worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) shipments declined 3.0% to 25 million units in the third quarter of 2016 (3Q16), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. The modest improvement over the previous quarter was largely due to solid results in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan), which grew 4.4% year over year.
Notable highlights from the third quarter include:
- The contractual segment expanded 6.1% year over year in 3Q16, driven mainly by the managed print services (MPS) trend.
- Business inkjet shipments saw a year-over-year decline of 7.1% to approximately 2.4 million units with inkjet MFPs accounting for 90% of these shipments.
- Epson's was the only vendor among the top 5 with positive year-over-year unit growth, driven by strong performances in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan), Western Europe, and the U.S.
- Laser markets in Western Europe grew 1.9% year over year in 3Q16, a sharp contrast with the negative trend observed in the region for the past five quarters. Laser revenue increased more than volume, indicating that prices in many Western European markets are holding steady: average selling prices (ASPs) for the laser market increased by 1.2% in 3Q16.
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Shipments, Market Share, and Growth, Q3 2016
|Vendors||3Q16 Units Shipment||3Q16 Market Share||3Q15 Units Shipment||3Q15 Market Share||3Q16/3Q15 Growth|
|1. HP Inc||9,472,015||37.9%||9,937,429||38.6%||-4.7%|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, December 2, 2016
- Vendor shipments are branded shipments.
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
- IDC follows A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker.
IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker provides market data on the global hardcopy peripherals (single function printer, multifunction printer, and single function digital copier) market. Historical data are provided by vendor, distribution channel, end-user segment, speed range, price band, configuration, model family, and format size. Forecast details include units, value, ASV, price band, and speed range by product by country by region.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.