Samsung Electronics Announces the Public Release of Its SDK for the New Gear S2 smartwatch
Via Samsung UK News Room
Sep 4, 2015
Sep 03, 2015
Extending limitless opportunities for app developers, partners, and consumers to expand the potential for new wearable experiences
Samsung Electronics today announced the public release of its Tizen Software Development Kit (SDK) for the recently unveiled Samsung Gear S2 wearable device. The SDK is now available for download at Samsung’s Developer websites: http://developer.samsung.com/wearable.
Thanks to the early access program announced back in April, over a thousand applications for the Samsung Gear S2 are expected to be available to users at launch. This is in addition to the five thousand apps already available to Samsung Gear users.
In advance of this launch, a Gear S2 seller site also opened on August 18th for developers and partners to start registering their Gear S2 applications.
The Samsung Gear S2 SDK offers the following advantages:
· ** Enhanced Standalone Features ** : Developers can create enhanced standalone Samsung Gear S2 apps with network, call and location-based APIs, with the freedom to connect to 3G networks without a smartphone.
· ** Web and Native Apps ** : Developers can also build both Web and Native apps with the new SDK. Tizen Native APIs enable them to build fast, light-weight and beautiful apps with EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries).
· ** Support for Android ** : Connect to Android phones*, including but not limited to Samsung models. Wider device coverage will help to reach more users. A list of supported devices can be found here.
The following applications will be ready for the Samsung Gear S2:
· ** Keep up-to-date with the news: ** Switch between your favorite sports teams by turning the interactive bezel or flicking the screen to get upcoming, live and final game updates on the ESPN app for the Gear S2 or get immediate access to scores with the ESPN Watch Face app. Read the latest news from 10 different sections, stories, push alerts and photos with CNN’s app for the Gear S2. Stay on top of your regional market indexes and see the day gain of the companies at-a glance with the Bloomberg Business Watch Face app , and Bloomberg Business Gear S2 app for more market indexes and details and the latest business news. Select the Twitter Trends Watch Face on your Gear S2 to see top local trends.
· ** Stay ahead while on-the-go ** : Request an Uber driver and get picked up in minutes without having to take out your mobile phone. Search, call and get directions to nearby restaurants, shops and services - all from your wrist with the Yelp for Gear app. Access your most relevant, time-sensitive trip information – including real-time flight alerts - at a quick glance of your Gear S2 with the TripCase app.
· ** Easy access to your mobile utilities ** : The convenience of having your Gear S2 smartwatch means you no longer have to fumble with metal keys, with Yale Digital Keys for your Yale Real Living Lock, you can easily access your home or share keys with friends or family members. Control your smart locks powered by Unikey with touch-to-open simplicity – now you can lock and unlock your home, business or hotel door through the convenience of your Gear S2 smartwatch.
· ** Stay in touch more easily than ever ** : Access at-a-glance message alerts through Voxer’s messaging app. It is the easiest way to communicate - like a walkie talkie on your wrist.
· ** Convenient access to shopping and e-commerce ** : The Gear S2 gives you instant access to the best features for everyday shopping. With FidMe , all of your loyalty cards, coupons and in-store notifications get sent straight to your smartwatch. Discover and browse more great nearby deals from local businesses with Groupon’s Gear S2 app. In addition, through the payment bar code system of Alipay , users can conveniently and promptly complete transactions and enjoy services at various offline supermarkets and restaurants, without having the need to carry any cellphone or cash.
· ** Track your fitness ** : The Nike+ Running app for the Gear S2 allows runners to track their distance, pace and time and view their in-run metrics at a simple glance. Individuals with Bluetooth-enabled headphones also have the ability to play music directly from the smartwatch.
** Compatible with smartphones running Android 4.4 or above and 1.5 GB RAM above.* *** The services listed above may not be available in all regions and features may vary by region, and service provider may change the name and/or value of its application at any time. Restrictions may also apply.* For more information about Samsung Gear S2, please visit http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/ .
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.