Dell Reignites the PC: Smaller, Faster and Optimized for the Future Workforce
Oct 21, 2015
- New portfolio of OptiPlex business PCs is smaller, faster and more energy efficient
- Wyse 5050 AIO zero client provides robust security and high performance for VMware environments
- New Dell printing solutions offer one-stop access to multiple cloud-based services for easy sharing, collaboration and printing
- Dell Services now a systems integrator for Usablenet, expanding its enterprise mobility solutions capabilities
Dell announced today at Dell World the most significant refresh to its OptiPlex commercial PC portfolio in five years, the Wyse 5050 AIO zero client for VMware, and new cloud multifunction printers to meet the changing needs of the future workforce. Considering the needs of a tech-savvy workforce always on the go, these new offerings are designed to increase employee productivity by helping them seamlessly connect to the business critical data and applications they need to get the job done. In addition, Dell Services is investing more in mobility applications and strategies to strengthen the way its commercial customers stay mobile, productive and efficient.
“We are defining the future of the PC and the role it plays in meeting our customers’ most pressing computing needs,” said Jeff Clarke, vice chairman, Operations and president, Client Solutions at Dell. “We are investing in this part of our business like never before, bringing new innovations to market that are redefining the role of the PC – whether it’s an ultra-mobile 2-in-1, thin or zero client, or a desktop that now handles workloads for a mobile workforce who require a robust collaboration solution.”
New Dell OptiPlex Desktops Optimize the Modern Workplace
The OptiPlex line of PCs are the world’s most secure commercial desktops available with industry-leading endpoint security solutions from Dell’s own Dell Data Protection suite that include comprehensive encryption, advanced authentication, leading-edge malware protection and advanced threat protection. OptiPlex is also the world’s most manageable commercial desktop portfolio with Intel® Core™ vPro™ processor technology and Client Command Suite. All of this is backed by enterprise-class support including Dell ProSupport Plus and Configuration & Deployment Services.
The fully revamped OptiPlex portfolio unveiled today will forever change perceptions about the commercial desktop with its smaller, faster and more energy-efficient Micro Form Factor, Small Form Factor, Mini Tower and All-in-One designs. The rapidly evolving workforce requires businesses to invest in technology that enables employees to work faster, make better decisions, and be more productive and collaborative. Yet today, over 200 million Dell commercial customers are working on a PC that is more than four years old.
The new OptiPlex PCs feature significant improvements over previous generation systems including:
- OptiPlex 7040 with 6th Gen Intel Core vPro processor technology offers up to 70 percent better performance versus a five year-old system[i]
- up to double the memory capacity than previous generation product[ii]
- four times the storage capacity of previous generation product[iii]
- power consumption reduced by up to 63 percent with the new OptiPlex 7040 Small Form Factor[iv]
- background system noise decreased by up to 32 percent with the new OptiPlex 7040 Small Form Factor[v]
With these performance gains and new features, OptiPlex desktops are playing a new role in a world that is highly mobile. For example, the portfolio includes a new collaboration and conferencing solution utilizing the OptiPlex 7040 Micro with 6th Gen Intel Core vPro processor technology and Intel Unite software to deliver simple, instant and secure collaboration and meeting capabilities through wireless connectivity. Now, onsite and remote employees can easily see the same content displayed in a room, transition between presenters in the room or over the phone, make annotations and transfer files instantly. No dongles or adapters required!
The new OptiPlex portfolio offers space-saving versatility with its smaller footprint. The Mini Tower is 43 percent smaller than the previous generation and Micro desktops can save more than 7,700 square feet of valuable workspace when replacing 10,000 legacy desktops – this is important as companies are reimagining a more collaborative and future-ready work environment. The updated portfolio, which is leveraging a new 3000/5000/7000 model numbering structure to simplify product comparison and selection for customers, includes:
- OptiPlex 7040: Enterprise-class desktop with premium management and security and the most expandability, including discrete graphics, dual hard drives and triple display, all in an innovative, compact design;
- OptiPlex 5040: A full-featured commercial desktop with advanced performance, best-in-class security and manageability, without sacrificing the business-critical features;
- OptiPlex 3040: A business desktop offering best-in-class security, manageability and high performance at the lowest entry price point for a commercial desktop;
- OptiPlex 24 7000 Series All-In-One (7440): The world’s most secure all-in-one with an ultra-sleek and premium design, a 23.8-inch Full HD display and an optional 4K Ultra HD display;
- OptiPlex 22 3000 Series All-In-One (3240): An all-in-one experience with business-class performance, productivity features, and new 21.5-inch Full HD display.
Wyse 5050 AIO Zero Client: High Performance and Elegant Design
Dell Cloud Client-Computing has been meeting the needs of customers from a variety of industries – from healthcare to education to finance and government – as they look to desktop virtualization solutions to empower their workforce with secure delivery of apps and data from the datacenter to the endpoint without hampering productivity. According to IDC, Dell was the No. 1 provider of thin and terminal clients worldwide for 2014, and has shipped more thin clients year-to-date in 2015 than anyone else[vi]. The Wyse 5050 AIO zero client is designed for VMware environments and provides the robust security businesses require with a zero attack surface for viruses and malware.
- High Performance and Functionality: The Wyse 5050 AIO features a vibrant, Full HD 23.6-inch display. With powerful PCoIP technology, it offers full USB peripheral interoperability, rich multimedia, and support for high-resolution 3D graphics and advanced applications such as CAD and video editing.
- Easy to Deploy and Run: Wyse zero clients allow for hands-off management or remote management with Wyse Device Manager, and also include Dell BIOS support, giving the administrator the ability to make adjustments to hardware functionality. Deploying the AIO zero client is effortless with a simple one-cord design and out-of-the-box automatic setup.
- Elegant Design: The Wyse 5050 AIO is based on the best-selling Dell 24 monitor – P2414H. With the zero client on the back of the monitor, and built-in power supply, the 5050 sits elegantly on a desk without clutter. There are six USB ports, including four on the side of the chassis for convenient and easy access, and the zero client features rotating and detachable base for flexibility and comfort in positioning.
Dell also announced the latest version of its Dell Wyse Cloud Client Manager, release 9, a cloud-based management platform that manages thin clients, mobile devices, and mobile workspaces from a single console. With this release, Dell is making it easier to manage devices with centralized reporting and control of multiple branch offices and by allowing administrators to organize devices into multi-level groups and delegate administration of selected groups through role-based access control. In addition, this release enhances the management capabilities for Android, Windows and iOS platforms by adding support for iOS9, Windows 10 and enhanced application management functionality.
Dell Document Hub and Multifunction Printers
As part of Dell’s end-to-end solutions for business customers, the new H-Series and S-Series multifunction printers are designed to meet the online collaboration needs of businesses of all sizes.
With 64 percent of workers performing at least some of their work tasks at home and half of desktop users incorporating other devices as well, it has become necessary for offices to offer complete printer connectivity wherever workers may be and whatever devices they may be using. The new H-Series printers (models H625cdw, H825cdw, and H815dw) include the Dell Document Hub, which allows customers access to multiple cloud storage services at the same time, such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Salesforce or Evernote for easy sharing and printing. The printers provide direct access to the Document Hub from the printer or PC for office-based employees, while remote employees can access it as an app on their mobile device or PC. Ideal for smaller organizations and executive offices, the printers provide easy Wi-Fi set up by SMBs and micro-businesses with limited or no IT teams.
The S-Series smart/multifunction printers (models S2825cdn and S2815dn) are designed for the robust security needs of larger enterprises with built-in security features, easy scanning to SharePoint On-Premise, as well as printing from Android and iOS devices using the Dell Document Hub app.
Fully Managed and Automated Enterprise Mobility Solutions
To help companies at any stage of their mobility transformation, Dell Services combines industry-leading technology and expertise to help automate and streamline the process of deploying and managing mobile endpoints, together with the core infrastructure. Dell Mobility Services represents a unified, end-to-end solution built with best-of-breed security and management technology, as well as automation capabilities, to help customers mobilize every application, keep data secure, provide an enhanced end-user experience and gain better control of applications, data and devices.
As part of the strategy, Dell Services is now a systems integrator for Usablenet, a technology services company focused on enterprise mobile strategy and execution. Adding Usablenet’s mobile platform to Dell’s end-to-end solutions will give Dell customers access to best-in-class mobile sites, apps and workload-specific enterprise mobility solutions. As a Usablenet partner, Dell Services can deliver an end-to-end mobile and multichannel solution, ranging from user experience design to data integration, mobile site and application development, implementation, and support. Dell Services now offers a variety of industry-focused enterprise solutions with enterprise Usablenet platform-based services, including:
- UX services to research and design award-winning mobile user experiences;
- Mobile Experiences, including consumer-facing mobile sites, employee productivity apps, enterprise applications and experiences on interactive kiosks;
- APIs and web services to enable multichannel applications and legacy integration.
Revolutionizing Healthcare with Mobility
An example of how Dell’s services and expertise will be applied is in the healthcare space. Healthcare providers need greater flexibility and access to information. Dell has demonstrable success, one of which was being ranked by Gartner as the top healthcare services provider for the sixth year in a row[vii]. With industry-leading healthcare domain expertise and partnerships and a global Mobile Apps Services team of 200+ associates, Dell Services is revolutionizing care delivery, patient engagement and creating workflow efficiencies.
Dell has created “accelerators” for provider and health plan customers to quickly launch their own branded mobile apps. These starter kit apps come pre-built with rich functionality out of the box for providing information to patients both on and off premises. Providers can empower their patients with access to their own health information, interact with a care team and manage their own health. Dell also enables virtual visit solutions for its customers to allow patients to consume anytime, anywhere healthcare services; and offers remote patient monitoring solutions to minimize readmission penalties and reduce costs of care delivery for chronic patients.
- The new OptiPlex 7000 Series, 5000 Series and Micro PC with Intel Unite software are available today. The OptiPlex 3000 series will be available in November 2015.
- The Wyse 5050 AIO zero client is available starting December 2015 in the United States. It will expand to other regions in 2016.
- Cloud Client Manager release 9 is available in select countries around the world starting in November 2015.
- The H-Series cloud multifunction printers and S-Series smart / multifunction printers are available today in the United States, and will expand to select countries around the world starting October 29.
[i] Based on testing using the SYSmark 2014 benchmark test performed by Intel in September 2015 comparing against the Intel Core i5-650 processor. Actual performance will vary based on configuration, usage and manufacturing variability. [ii] Based on September 2015 Dell analysis of the Dell OptiPlex 7040 memory capacity versus the Dell OptiPlex 980. [iii] Based on September 2015 Dell analysis of the Dell OptiPlex 7040 Hard Drive capacity versus the Dell OptiPlex 980. [iv] Based on September 2015 Dell power consumption tests of the Dell OptiPlex 7040 Small Form Factor versus the OptiPlex 9020 Small Form Factor and OptiPlex 980 Small Form Factor [v] Based on September 2015 Dell acoustic tests of the Dell OptiPlex 7040 Small Form Factor versus the OptiPlex 9020 Small Form Factor and OptiPlex 980 Small Form Factor [vi] Based on IDC Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Client Device Tracker, 2015 Q2 [vii] Gartner, Market Share: IT Services, 2014, Kathryn Hale et al, March 31, 2015 *
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.