Orange and NTT sign strategic R&D framework agreement to accelerate digital and network transformation in 5G, AI, IoT cybersecurity and beyond
Feb 22, 2019
Orange and NTT today signed a strategic Research and Development (R&D) framework agreement up to 2022 to mutualise research findings in several key domains including 5G, network transformation, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), cybersecurity, cloud services, smart cities, sports, tourism and culture.
Both organisations believe that greater alignment and cooperation on R&D topics will accelerate digital and network transformation, and lead to more innovation and the development of new products and services that can be leveraged across the Asia Pacific region covered by NTT, and Orange’s unique geographical reach across Europe and Africa.
Stéphane Richard, Chairman & CEO, Orange Group, commented: “ As Europe embarks on its own 5G journey, our collaboration with NTT will be very precious. Both parties share a commitment to continuous learning and cultural exchange, which I fundamentally believe is essential in today’s global environment. The mutualisation of our respective research learnings will enable us to identify and develop better services for customers in our respective regions, and support the development of our multinational business customers internationally. ”
Jun Sawada, CEO, NTT Group, commented: “As “ Your Value Partner,” NTT Group will aim to resolve social issues by means of advancing digital transformation through its business activities, by utilising its various management resources and capabilities, such as research and development, ICT infrastructure and personnel, while also collaborating with its partners. Orange is one of the most innovative and important players to cooperate closely in various ways to progress AI, IoT and 5G. With this agreement, we will be able to enhance our capabilities and accelerate digital transformation in various industries, cities, sports and international events in worldwide. ”
The agreement, which may be extended to other areas at a later date, covers cooperation in several areas:
- 5G and Network technology and transformation: 5G, LoRa, SDN (Software Defined Network), NFV (Network Function Virtualisation) Organisation, Software Asset Management, Identity and Access Management, Open Ecosystems (OCP, TIP, OPNFV, OpenStack, Open Air Interface, ORAN) by using open and white box technologies
- IoT: Connected value chain with massive devices including connected vehicles, cellular drone, machine to machine and smart city automation
- Artificial Intelligence: Use cases for Telco AI, Orange Djingo
- Cybersecurity for Telco, Cloud, Disaster Prevention and Integration Services
- Global and cultural events by using immersive communication technology, Tourism, Corporate Social Responsibility
- Digital lifestyle innovation: healthcare, education, connected devices, AR/VR (Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality), payment/finance, carrier billing and consumer experience [
NTT is a fully integrated technology, networking and innovation services leader that helps enterprises exceed their digital transformation goals. More than 80 percent of Fortune 100 companies trust NTT for security expertise and world-class services including consulting, cloud, networking and systems integration. Significant ongoing investments in R&D reinforce our foundation in digital and cutting-edge technologies including AI, IoT, and quantum computing. NTT companies, including NTT DATA, NTT Communications, Dimension Data and NTT Security, generate over $106 billion in annual revenue worldwide by providing new and highly valued ways of serving our clients and society as one NTT.
[ Download the press release Download (114.4 kB) ](https://www.orange.com/en/content/download/49477/1400001/version/2/file/PR_Orange_NTT_RnDMoU_FINAL (3).pdf)
For more information, please contact:
NTT Public Relations Office [email protected]
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.