Globecomm teams with Ciena to provide mission-critical services for media and content providers
Via Ciena News Room
Apr 19, 2017
Lays the foundation for highly-reliable, low latency connectivity and content distribution
HANOVER, Md. - Apr. 19, 2017: Globecomm, a leading global communications solutions provider, has deployed Ciena's (NYSE: CIEN) converged packet-optical and packet networking solutions to meet growing content distribution requirements for a variety of critical applications, including video for breaking news stories, disaster recovery for armed forces and essential connectivity to maritime ships crossing oceans around the world. ** With this network, Globecomm can cost-effectively increase the capacity, reliability and availability of high-bandwidth services to more than 250 customers throughout its global footprint.
- Globecomm is a leading engineering-driven, global connectivity provider, operating in more than 100 countries. They provide satellite centric video, voice and managed data solutions for media, maritime, wireless, enterprise and government customers.
- When Globecomm is delivering mission-critical and time-sensitive applications to its customers, the network must be highly responsive and a resource they can trust. Ciena’s Ethernet switching, optical transport and network management solutions enable the fast, reliable and high-performance connectivity needed to meet the demands of the harsh and unique conditions that Globecomm’s customers often operate in.
- Globecomm continues to grow its terrestrial networks’ capacity, reach and scale with Ciena’s solutions as the backbone. The provider recently built a high throughput Content Distribution Network (CDN) to support its growing media customer base and expanded into many developing countries throughout Africa and Asia.
- Ciena’s 10GE 5142 Service Aggregation Switch enables Globecomm to transmit high-quality, bandwidth-heavy content, such as videoconferencing, surveillance and video streaming, through the cost-effective operation of layer 2 and layer 3 networks. Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform allows Globecomm to customize service delivery and support applications from 2.5G to 200G and beyond.
- Additionally, with Ciena’s network management capabilities Globecomm can now seamlessly design, schedule and commission services across its network in a matter of minutes versus days, reducing costs and increasing customer satisfaction.
“Our customers come to us with some of the most complex communication requirements in the industry because they know the solutions we provide will work, no matter what. Some of our most challenging work, including the recent expansion of our solutions into remote areas of Africa and Asia, would not be successful without Ciena. Our long-standing relationship makes it possible for us to provide high-quality end-user experiences regardless of device, platform or location.” Michele Scotto, Senior Vice President Business Development,Globecomm
“While our customers’ end-users have unique requirements, delivering a reliable service in a timely manner is critical across all domains. This is especially important to Globecomm who has to meet very stringent service level agreements established by their media and government agency customers. The Ciena and Globecomm teams effectively collaborated to expand network functionality while increasing service velocity and reliability.” Jason Phipps, Senior Vice President, Global Sales and Marketing,Ciena
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.