Telefónica Tech inaugurates its Digital Operations Center in the Global Innovation and Talent Hub
May 18, 2022
The Chairman of Telefónica, Jose María Álvarez-Pallete, accompanied by the rest of the members of the Board of Directors and the CEO of Telefónica Tech, José Cerdán, inaugurated Telefónica Tech‘s Digital Operations Center (DOC) at the company’s headquarters, located in Madrid’s Telefónica District, which is fully dedicated to cybersecurity and the cloud. This new space is part of the Telefónica Group’s commitment to continue promoting a pioneering global Innovation and Talent Hub at its headquarters to consolidate its position as the undisputed leader in digitalisation and optimise the exchange of information and technology.
The DOC, which has the capacity to serve Telefónica’s customers around the world, is 1,000 square metres in size and has a qualified team of 200 highly specialised experts with diverse profiles (engineers, data architects, security and cloud operators, among others) in constant coordination with the more than 2,300 professionals of Telefónica Tech’s global operations team.
The DOC will unify the teams that until now provided services from the Julián Camarillo and Gran Vía centers, as well as other operations experts from Telefónica Tech’s Cybersecurity and Cloud division that were already working from Distrito Telefónica. The integration of the teams will help to strengthen the company’s global network of 11 centers around the world to monitor, protect and resolve security incidents in the digital world.
“The business world is facing an unprecedented transformation and technology is proving to be a key element for business continuity. This Telefónica Tech Digital Operations Center has the most innovative capabilities and solutions in cybersecurity and cloud and will be an undisputed technological benchmark in the service and protection of companies in their digital transformation processes. We continue to enrich our global Innovation and Talent Hub with the services and resources that society demands to safely advance our commitment to “Make the world more human by connecting people’s lives,” said José María Álvarez-Pallete, Chairman of Telefónica.
“The opening of this new operations centre will consolidate our position as a benchmark in the prevention, detection and response to security incidents, thanks to an innovative and comprehensive cybersecurity and cloud offering, the implementation of the most advanced technological tools, the numerous intelligence sources we have and the knowledge and experience of our experts. We continue to take steps forward to be ever closer to our customers and offer them a personalised and comprehensive service that makes them feel secure in the new digital world and strengthens their resilience,” said José Cerdán, CEO of Telefónica Tech.
Telefónica Tech was created in November 2019 as one of the five pillars of the Telefónica Group’s strategic plan to drive the company’s transformation. Telefónica Tech currently has more than 5,400 professionals globally, of which more than 2,000 belong to Operations and 1,000 of them are cybersecurity experts.
A unique space to protect customers
The DOC will monitor and supervise, with the support of intelligent and automated platforms, customer activity 24 hours a day, every day of the year to detect, manage and resolve any type of cybersecurity incident or alert.
Operations experts will provide the following main services from the Telefónica District DOC:
- Security management: These services are aimed at attending to the management of perimeter security devices and services associated with communications, such as firewall and proxies.
- Mass industrialised services or SMEs: Standardised services, such as those to prevent denial of service attacks, in which the degree of automation is high. These services are provided to most of Spain’s critical infrastructures to protect them from external attacks. It also supports operators’ native security services, such as Conexión Segura, and secularisation products for SMEs, such as Tu Empresa Segura.
- Digital surveillance: This is NextDefense‘s services for surveillance of customers’ intangible assets (i.e. beyond physical and cloud assets). The NextDefense offering includes Managed Detection and Response (MDR) services to identify and resolve threats as quickly as possible, risk-based Vulnerability Management to prioritise the resolution of the most critical ones, as well as Threat Intelligence to better understand the intentions and skills of cybercriminals in order to be able to design more comprehensive responses and anticipate attacks.
- Monitoring and management of endpoints: This is an alert-generating service in which information is collected from devices and analysed to see the degree of danger and helps companies to make decisions.
- Cloud security services: These are the services of the most cutting-edge technologies linked to SASE (including SDWAN), the union between communications and security in a device, to achieve an Internet connection and secure browsing, among others.
The Telefónica District DOC also has a special room for managing cybersecurity crises in companies and a specific team assigned to internally manage the customer security operations center.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.