There’s only one OpenStack but it has extra 9s up its sleeve for the telcos
To embed our video on your website copy and paste the code below:
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bGaw1Nq5EBc?modestbranding=1&rel=0" width="970" height="546" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nick Barcet, Senior Director OpenStack Product Management, Red Hat
OpenStack is now up to its tenth version and, as Nick explains to Martyn Warwick, 10 is special. It’s a long-life release with five years of support and it adds lots of features. As far as telco requirements are concerned there shouldn’t be talk of a telco version of NFV, he says. There will be one OpenStack: it will just take on new features to accommodate different markets, including the telecoms market.
So as regards ‘Telco grade NFV’, Nick says that 90 per cent of the requirements telcos have are the requirements of the data centre anyway - the remaining 10 per cent relate to things like the enabling of extra ‘9s’ availability. The data centre market is usually happy with three ‘9s’ while telcos like to have 5 ‘9s’. But this different requirement can be accommodated within a single OpenStack. Watch the video to find out how.
FILMED AT: OpenStack Summit 2016, Barcelona, Spain
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.