SHENZHEN, CHINA, 16 May 2018 - HMD Global, the home of Nokia phones, today announced the opening of the Nokia Mobile Global Future Lab in Shenzhen, China. Led by Juho Sarvikas, Chief Product Officer, HMD Global, the Future Lab will gather top industry talent, bolstering key innovations and setting a trajectory for success in meeting HMD Global’s long term strategy.
Core R&D Capabilities in Shenzhen
With a robust mobile hardware and software industry, Shenzhen is a natural location for HMD Global to establish the Future Lab as it is one of the places where furture innovations in mobile technology happen. The team will draw on local Chinese and global industry talent to be based out of their Shenzhen hub.
The Future Lab will integrate cutting-edge technology and trends to focus on three key aspects of the mobile experience:
- 5G technologies: HMD believes that as 5G technology matures, the mobile device and services experience will change considerably.
- Materials and techniques: Innovation in materials and manufacturing technologies is a key factor in the development of mobile devices and improving consumer experiences.
- Imaging technology: Smartphone users are creating and sharing more content than ever before. HMD Global is committed to developing the storytelling capabilities of Nokia phones with new technologies including AI.
- Evolution of mobile experience: Nokia as a brand has always stood for leadership in mobility. HMD Global has a distinct point of view on evolution of personal mobile device utilizing the latest developments in radio technologies and enablers such as AI.
- Juho Sarvikas, Chief Product Officer of HMD Global:
"In order to continue delivering world first features and industry-leading designs, we are establishing the Nokia Mobile Global Future Lab; its mission will be to continue delivering the world first innovations and reliability that our fans love while investing future mobile experinces, spanning 5G, materials research, AI and imaging."