Today at HP Reinvent, the company’s largest global partner event, HP unveiled a game-changing, grounds-up designed virtual reality (VR) headset. Joining HP’s comprehensive VR portfolio, the HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset – Professional Edition delivers truly immersive and transformative experiences for work and life with amazing clarity with its staggering 2160 x 2160 panel per eye with double the resolution(1) and 114-degree field of view.
“As the commercial VR segment is expected to grow to $34 billion by 2022(2), customers are seeking lifelike VR viewing to help open doors to new business opportunities in product design, training, and engineering,” said Spike Huang, vice president and global lead of VR, HP Inc. “The time for commercial VR is now and adding HP Reverb to our broader virtual reality portfolio is an important step in addressing this growing market.”
Solving Top Customer VR Challenges
HP worked closely with customers across product design, architecture, engineering, training, healthcare, and location-based entertainment to better understand their unique insights. VR-based training, for example, has a 75 percent retention rate compared to lectures at 10 percent and reading at 5 percent(3). As part of this process, HP worked to create a device which solves for three specific pain points commonly associated with VR solutions: superb visual quality – from high resolution to the reduction of repeated focus adjustments; smarter fit and comfort, especially during extended usage for intense workflows; and, worry-free deployment and support.
The ultra-light (1.1 pounds), ultra-immersive HP Reverb VR Headset features excellent resolution with redesigned optics to increase the visual “sweet spot.” HP Reverb also features integrated headphones with spatial audio and smart assistant compatible dual microphones for a greater immersive experience and collaboration in multi-user VR environments.
Deployment of HP Reverb is simple. It has integrated Bluetooth® with pre-paired motion controllers right out of the box (no need to pair) and support for Windows Mixed Reality and Steam VR. With Windows Mixed Reality’s inside out tracking, setup is even easier – just plug in the VR headset and start the experience. For multi-user environments there are removable, cleanable facemask cushions.
“With more than 2,500 VR experiences available and counting, Windows Mixed Reality continues to serve as the home for cutting-edge innovations that are fundamentally changing the way we work and play,” said Alex Kipman, Technical Fellow, Microsoft. “The HP Reverb headset is an amazing example of the type of innovation we are seeing take place as we push forward and bring the next era of computing – the era of mixed reality – to the masses.”
HP Reverb Professional Edition Pricing and Availability
- The HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset – Pro Edition is scheduled for availability starting in late-April for $649 (U.S.).
- Pro Edition price includes: HP VR Headset, 3.5m headset cable for desktop and mobile PCs, .6m headset cable for HP Z VR Backpack wearable VR PC (sold separately), 2 motion controllers, cleanable face cushion, 1 DisplayPort™ to mini-DisplayPort™ adapter. The Pro Edition has a 1-year limited commercial warranty.
HP Reverb Consumer Edition Available
- The HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset – Consumer Edition is scheduled for availability starting in late-April for $599 (U.S.).
- Consumer Edition price includes the same as the pro edition except for the .6m headset cable and washable fabric face cushion. The Consumer Edition includes a 1-year limited consumer warranty.
1. HP Reverb at 2160x2160 per eye with 9.3M Pixel doubles the resolution of similar price point
2. Source: 2IDC Worldwide Semiannual Augmented and Virtual Reality Spending Guide, published November 2018, consumer industry excluded.
3. According to a MASiE 2017 Report (January 2017, by Bobby Carlton): in a study carried out by the National Training Laboratory
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.