Verizon announces partnership with the City of Sacramento for a smarter, safer, more connected city
Jun 2, 2017
Verizon, alongside Mayor Darrell Steinberg and the City of Sacramento today announced a tentative agreement to create a public-private partnership designed to bring smart city infrastructure and services to people who live, work or visit the Capitol City. Verizon expects to invest more than $100 million to further the Mayor’s vision to foster innovation and attract new companies in a tech-forward environment. The agreement goes before City Council for approval on Tuesday, June 6.
“This partnership will serve as a critical step in upgrading our city’s infrastructure to support the newest and best technology and the economic growth that comes with that technology,” said Mayor Steinberg. “It will also ensure that everyone who lives here or spends time here can experience the benefits of a safer, more mobile and more sustainable city. Sacramento is on the leading edge of some really big ideas, and I look forward to working with Verizon and active community members across the city to distinguish Sacramento as a destination for Art, Food and Tech.”
If approved by City Council, Verizon and the City of Sacramento will develop a program to address Sacramento’s key areas of focus. Elements include:
- Assisting to bridge the digital divide by providing free Wi-Fi access in 27 of Sacramento’s public parks;
- Supporting Mayor Steinberg’s education initiatives with internships and opportunities for elementary, middle and high school students to promote careers in science, technology, engineering and math;
- Furthering Sacramento’s Vision Zero initiative, which focuses on reducing traffic related fatalities and severe injuries. Verizon will help the city with this initiative by improving public safety at key city intersections through technology as well as advanced signal controls to manage vehicle flow, decrease congestion, improve public transit, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions;
- Building a connected community focused on Sacramento-driven engagement with citizens and visitors with digital kiosks that include features such as Wi-Fi, security, wayfinding, notice boards and other key functions customized for the city;
- Driving innovation and next-generation 5G connectivity with a significant infrastructure investment throughout the Sacramento community.
The proposed program will deliver a safer, more mobile and more sustainable city providing private-sector small cell infrastructure investment, technology and implementation expertise as well as streamlined permitting processes to install this technology efficiently. Verizon’s Smart Communities solutions provide best-in-class security, data and privacy management designed to foster growth and opportunity and minimize risk and cost for the city.
“Sacramento has positioned itself as a leader in technology and innovation investment. This proposal not only underscores the city’s commitment to putting its citizens first, but to providing them with the tools, engagement opportunities and innovation to drive digital equality and quality-of-life improvements,” said Mrinalini (Lani) Ingram, Vice President of Smart Communities at Verizon. “We’re thrilled to partner with such a forward-thinking Mayor, and to launch what we believe will be a key catalyst for innovation and economic development.”
“This partnership is critical for Sacramento’s future as a smart, connected city,” said Congresswoman Doris Matsui. “This agreement will enable significant investment in the next generation of wireless infrastructure in our city and lays the foundation for enhancing the digital prosperity of our entire community.”
Greater Sacramento Economic Council President and CEO Barry Broome added, “Technological advances are crucial and one of the key factors to our future and economic success throughout the Greater Sacramento region. This proposed partnership with Verizon will create cutting-edge technology and put Sacramento on the map as being one of the most innovative cities in the nation.”
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.