Three UK announces its half-year results for the first six months of 2017
H1 17 Financial Highlights (versus H1 16)
- Total revenue up 10% at £1.16 billion
- Total margin up 6% to £725m due to increased customer base
- EBITDA down by 2% at £341m
- EBIT down by 15% to £197m due to costs associated with network and IT infrastructure investment
Operational and Strategic Highlights
Bringing innovative, customer-led services to market
- Retained industry leadership position on mobile roaming by extending Feel at Home offer to 60 worldwide destinations including Singapore and Brazil, allowing Three UK customers to use their phones abroad in more than 80% of destinations they travel to – more than any other network - at no extra cost
- Launched Go Binge, an innovative, zero-rated product and open platform offering Three UK customers on selected plans the freedom to stream Netflix, TV Player, Deezer and SoundCloud, by removing data charges on those services
Growing customer base and improving satisfaction rates
- Grew customer base by 9% to over 9.9 million active customers1 , driven by strong prepaid growth
- Customer Net Promoter Score increased to +21, the best-ranked MNO for more than three years
- Fewest complaints of any MNO according to Ofcom report2
- Top ranked MNO in Which? retail satisfaction report
Delivering market-leading connectivity
- Indoor population network coverage now at 97%, up from 81% two years ago
- 91% 4G population coverage
- 86% of customer handsets now 4G enabled
- More than 10% of customers now regularly making calls using our VoIP service.
- On 31st May 2017, completed acquisition of UK Broadband Limited, operating under the Relish brand in Central London and Swindon, opening up home broadband market as growth area for business
Dave Dyson, Chief Executive of Three UK, said:
“This encouraging set of results is testament to our continued improvement in customer satisfaction, which remains Three’s core focus and clear point of differentiation. The extension of our Feel at Home offer, which now covers 60 destinations worldwide, and the launch of Go Binge, are exciting examples of how we continue to help customers get the most from their devices.
“Our market-leading satisfaction and low complaint levels are a result of the hard work of the thousands of passionate staff across the Three UK business.”
1 An active customer is one that generated revenue from an outgoing call, incoming call or data/content service in the preceding three months.
2 Ofcom, Telecoms and Pay TV Complaints Q1 (January to March) 2017 (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/103411/Telecoms-and-Pay-TV-Complaints-Q1-January-to-March-2017.pdf)
Click on the image to view Half-Year 2017 results’ highlights
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.