Saudi Telecom Company Deploys High-Capacity International Mesh Network Powered by Ciena
Via Ciena News Room
Oct 21, 2015
Enables resilient OTN and Ethernet service delivery across major routes fromSaudi ArabiatoFrance
HANOVER, Md.& RIYADH, Saudi Arabia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 21, 2015-- Saudi Telecom Company (STC) is deploying a resilient, next-generation network (NGN) based on Ciena’s converged packet-optical platforms, as well as GeoMesh networking technology. This network solution maximizes the potential of STC’s existing global submarine and terrestrial investments by enabling flexible, high-capacity wholesale and enterprise Carrier Ethernet and OTN for Internet connectivity, datacenter interconnect and high-bandwidth cloud services.
- STC, based in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), is the incumbent and the largest telecommunications services provider in the Middle East and North Africa Region. Its international presence spreads across nine countries and includes an international data network that extends to Europe and Asia.
- Ciena’s 5430 Packet-Optical platform, equipped with the WaveLogic 3 Extreme chipset and 15 Terabit (Tb/s) hybrid packet OTN switching, together with the 6500 help increase the capacity, agility and reach of STC’s network, ensuring operational simplicity and scalability while supporting the evolution toward software defined networking (SDN). E-Suite packet switch modules on both the 6500 and 5430 allow STC to maximize the number of high speed Ethernet services carried on the network.
- Ciena’s GeoMesh submarine solution ensures survivability even in the case of multiple network outages or submarine fiber cuts, with restoration within 50 milliseconds. As a result, STC can offer applicably vehement service level agreements (SLAs) tailored to its wholesale and enterprise customer requirements. GeoMesh also allows STC customers to take advantage of faster speeds, reduced latency and scalability for seamless global connectivity solutions.
- Additionally, Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System, OneConnect Intelligent Control Plane and OnePlanner Unified Design System – all part of Ciena’s OPn network architecture – give STC exceptional control over the entire network and enable service activation in a matter of seconds.
- As a member of Ciena’s BizConnect program, STC also benefits from marketing support, service enablement and training.
- “Transforming our network to deliver comprehensive and reliable services demonstrates STC’s dedication to its customers. Being a customer-centric operator, STC offers innovative and high-quality services over its leading state-of-the-art network infrastructure. STC ICT regional leadership is emphasized by the deployment of NGN solutions like Ciena’s packet-optical and GeoMesh solutions. These give STC the scalability and speed of services deployment, in tandem with lowering operating costs and supporting STC’s fierce evolution toward NGN capabilities.”
Dr. Homoud Al Kussayer, Vice President for Wholesale at STC
“This deployment further cements our leading position in the submarine market. STC’s strategic network approach coupled with Ciena’s industry-leading solutions ensures that it has the capacity, agility and reliability needed to support current and future web-scale demands.”
- Benoit de la Tour, Vice President and General Manager EMEA atCiena
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.