Red Hat satellite 6.2 introduces new features to help users increase efficiency across on-premise, cloud, and container-based environments
Via Red Hat Newsroom
Jul 28, 2016
RALEIGH, N.C. — July 28, 2016 —
Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced the general availability of Red Hat Satellite 6.2, its systems lifecycle management tool across physical, virtual, and private and public cloud environments. Red Hat Satellite 6.2 introduces remote execution and extends capabilities for container management and security.
“With ever-changing business needs and the speed at which technology is shifting, organizations need to efficiently manage and more securely operate both their traditional and cloud-based infrastructures. Red Hat Satellite 6.2 helps meet these needs with increased scalability, support for offline environments as well as enabling system administrators to more easily manage physical, virtual, hybrid cloud and container environments.” Joe Fitzgerald vice president, Management, Red Hat
Red Hat Satellite 6.2 offers several new features, including:
- Container host provisioning , supporting and managing Red Hat’s lightweight container operating system, Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host. Red Hat Satellite supports enterprises who are migrating to a lightweight container architecture, enabling them to run Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Hosts as a compute resource and directly deploy containers to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host. In addition, Red Hat Satellite now supports the Open Container Initiative format and registries.
- Remote execution , enabling users to take multiple actions against a group of systems while automating workflows. With these new capabilities, users can reboot a system after a patch install, or conduct rolling upgrades across hundreds of systems with the same ease and consistency as updating a single system. New scheduling features and dashboards enhance interaction with systems under Red Hat Satellite management, bringing increased efficiency to its provisioning and discovery processes.
- Support for disconnected environments. Red Hat Satellite 6.2 provides the ability to synchronize and export content from one Red Hat Satellite server to another, a new feature designed for workloads that may require systems management solutions to run disconnected from the Internet for security purposes.
- Expanded capsule management. The Red Hat Satellite Capsule Server, which provides federated services especially helpful for scaling, can now provide deeper insight into the health of the capsule, including service run statues from the centralized Red Hat Satellite console. This enables administrators to create various capsules in different geographic locations where datacenters may be located.
- More flexible provisioning via new discovery enhancements in Red Hat Satellite, helping to simplify the process of building systems and enable end users to more efficiently provision systems in secured environments where DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) and PXE (Preboot Execution Environment) may not be available.
- Enhanced migration services via the ability to import existing hosts running on any version of Red Hat Satellite 5 or 6 thanks to new feature scripts and automation capabilities. This bootstrap script automates the process of registering systems to Satellite, reducing the steps needed to add existing systems to Red Hat Satellite.
Red Hat Satellite 6.2 is now generally available to all Red Hat Satellite customers with a valid subscription.
Joe Fitzgerald, vice president, Management, Red Hat
“With ever-changing business needs and the speed at which technology is shifting, organizations need to efficiently manage and more securely operate both their traditional and cloud-based infrastructures. Red Hat Satellite 6.2 helps meet these needs with increased scalability, support for offline environments as well as enabling system administrators to more easily manage physical, virtual, hybrid cloud and container environments.”
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.