Fujitsu Opens New Facility at Its Tatebayashi Data Center
Apr 5, 2016
Annex C begins operations as a linchpin of support for the digital business of customers
Tokyo, April 05, 2016
Fujitsu today announced that it has opened Annex C, a new facility at its Tatebayashi Data Center, and has today commenced operations there.
The newly opened annex, featuring optimized air conditioning systems and operating environment, meets Japan's highest environmental performance standards. Fujitsu built the facility with a particular focus on support for hybrid clouds, for which needs have increased in recent years, as well as for robust security and resiliency to disasters.
Fujitsu is using the Tatebayashi Data Center as the core facility for its FUJITSU Digital Business Platform MetaArc, which supports the digital business of customers, and is helping to bring greater dynamism to the businesses of its customers.
About the new Annex C facility at Tatebayashi Data Center
1. Improved environmental performance
By optimizing the air conditioning systems, operating environment, and the ICT equipment environment, the new annex increases the use of outside air for cooling to roughly 7,000 hours per year, from roughly 3,250 hours for previous data centers. In addition, Fujitsu developed a new architectural structure and air conditioning method that maximizes the use of natural convection for airflow, thereby reducing the amount of electricity used for air conditioning and other equipment by approximately 60%. It is designed to achieve power usage effectiveness (PUE)(1) of 1.20, the most efficient level in Japan.
2. Standard equipment for closed networks to support hybrid clouds
In addition to connections with other Fujitsu data centers throughout Japan and Fujitsu's cloud services, the new annex uses standard equipment for closed networks to enable connections with third-party clouds, thereby providing fast support for hybrid cloud usage needs.
3. Offers 3 types of server rooms to meet diverse needs
The new annex is equipped with three different types of server rooms to meet diverse customer needs, providing the optimal environment for different industries, businesses, and operational policies:
- Standard rooms These are high-quality server rooms equivalent to Tier(2) 3.
- Cloud rooms For the exclusive use of clouds, these server rooms use new air conditioning methods and support high integration and high power supply capacity.
- FISC-compliant rooms For customers in the financial services industry, the new annex complies with the FISC security standards(3) , and furthermore uses an electricity distribution system with an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that is completely redundant with reliability that exceeds Tier 4 standards. (The annex is expected to receive certification that it complies with the FISC security standards from a certification organization.)
Overview of the New Annex C at Tatebayashi Data Center
Overview of the New Annex C at Tatebayashi Data CenterSite nameBuilding structureTotal floor areaNo. of racksJDCC TierOpening dateAnnex C, Tatebayashi Data CenterSeismic isolation39,000 m²4,000Equivalent to Tier 4April 5, 2016
- [ Power usage effectiveness (PUE)
A measure of data center power efficiency. It is the ratio of the total amount of energy used by the datacenter to the amount used by its ICT equipment. The closer to 1.0 a data center PUE is, the more efficient it is.
- [ Tier
Data center facility standards set by the Japan Data Center Council (JDCC). When building a data center, these are the defined standards for achieving a certain level of reliability. The higher the tier number, the higher the reliability.
- [ FISC security standards
"Security Guidelines on Computer Systems for Banking and Related Financial Institutions" created by the Center for Financial Industry Information Systems (FISC).
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.