Dell First Major OEM to Deliver Thin Clients Based on Windows 10 IoT Enterprise and Microsoft Azure-Ready VDI Performance with Wyse vWorkspace 8.6 Software
Jul 14, 2015
- Wyse 7000 and 5000 series thin clients with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise provide secure, flexible management for knowledge workers and power users in a variety of industries
- Wyse vWorkspace 8.6 software delivers enhanced usability and performance for Microsoft Azure
- Dell Unified Communications Command Suite (UCCS) adds analytics reporting for Office 365 and Cisco Unified Communications Manager
Today at Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference , Dell unveiled its latest Wyse thin clients, based on Windows 10 IoT Enterprise operating system and updates to its vWorkspace desktop virtualization software, making it easier than ever for IT managers to plan, deploy and run desktop virtualization. The new solutions announced today provide additional flexibility for organizations looking to deploy Microsoft Azure-based VDI, and provide demanding knowledge workers with powerful, secure endpoints that don’t compromise on performance or productivity.
Wyse Thin Clients Now Available with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
Wyse thin clients are recognized for providing knowledge workers and power users alike with a great user experience while ensuring security, flexible management options and compatibility with a variety of desktop virtualization solutions. Highly-regulated industries such as retail, healthcare, government, finance and education know that desktop virtualization is the key to securing and protecting critical data while ensuring that employees remain productive regardless of their location.
Today, Dell announced that the Wyse 7490-Z90Q10 and 5490-D90Q10 thin clients will be available with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise starting July 29. These thin clients are secure, highly scalable and provide a superb user experience. Benefits and features include:
- High Performance: The Wyse 7490-Z90Q10 and 5490-D90Q10 include quad-core AMD G-Series processors for fast boot, smooth performance and full productivity across a broad range of use cases.
- Secure: Protection against modern security threats including advanced malware resistance, with features such as Trusted Platform Module (TPM), BitLocker Drive Encryption, Secure Boot, and Windows Defender.
- Flexible Management: Right-sized management for different use cases, from on-premises with “hands off” file server, Wyse Device Manager software (WDM), or Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM). Simple, scalable administration for just a few to tens of thousands of thin clients.
Microsoft Azure-Ready VDI Performance with Wyse vWorkspace 8.6
Wyse vWorkspace desktop virtualization software makes it easy for service providers to deploy and run desktop virtualization with Microsoft technologies. vWorkspace 8.6 supports Microsoft Hyper-V and Azure platforms, as well as Windows 10-based virtual machines (VMs). vWorkspace 8.6 lowers the cost of hosting Windows remote applications on Microsoft Azure by up to 67 percent a day. Service providers can power on/off and manage remote desktop sessions on Microsoft Azure, reducing cost by powering down unused sessions within the public cloud. It is also possible to run vWorkspace from the Azure Marketplace to get started quickly.
Wyse vWorkspace 8.6 is a central part of Dell’s unique end-to-end Dell Appliance for Wyse – vWorkspace desktop virtualization datacenter appliance solution, announced earlier this year. It is a Dell-engineered solution designed to provide organizations of all sizes with cost-effective virtualization of Windows desktops and applications that can be managed without specialized staff or consultants. In addition to Microsoft Hyper-V and Azure platforms, it also supports other private or public cloud-hosted and client-hosted application and desktop virtualization technologies, enabling hybrid cloud scenarios with the combination of appliances powered by vWorkspace and Azure-based desktops and applications as a service.
Additional new benefits and features of vWorkspace 8.6 include:
- Global localization: vWorkspace 8.6 can now be installed in a non-Roman language OS/Active Directory environment such as simplified Chinese, Japanese and Korean, with support for the Double Byte Character Set (DBCS).
- Greater connectivity to Windows applications: vWorkspace provides an ecosystem of connectors for Windows, Linux and Chrome devices, delivering a more native experience than HTML5 access. These device connectors are enabled for Chinese, Japanese and Korean, making it easier for users in multinational organizations to securely access applications and content.
- Ease of use: It’s easier than ever to access and use vWorkspace 8.6. Users can sign-on with just an email address and can also easily drag and drop files from a physical Windows PC into a virtual desktop. For example, users can drag documents directly into the correct folder of a hosted CRM application, or insurance field agents can drag photos into a centralized, hosted database.
- Flexibility: Other enhancements include application layering for VDI, which simplifies application deployment and management, and reduces the number of Windows images that need to be maintained. ****
Dell Software Helps Amplify the Data Trapped in Your Unified Communications Systems
Dell Software recently announced the newest release of its Unified Communications Command Suite (UCCS) , which adds analytics reporting for Office 365 for Exchange Online and Cisco Unified Communications Manager to Dell’s cross-platform analytics and diagnostics solution. UCCS 8.1, the market’s only solution to offer analytics and diagnostics across both Microsoft Exchange and Lync , now expands an organization’s ability to gain true insights into workforce activity, email usage and trends, and communication consumption across multiple unified communications platforms. These new feature–rich capabilities enable businesses to increase user productivity of its UC systems, encourage adoption, protect sensitive information, increase ROI, and plan for future growth and migrations.
Steve Lalla, VP, Commercial Client Software and Solutions, Dell
“Contemplating when and how to manage a migration to Windows 10 is top-of-mind right now. Desktop virtualization offers organizations the flexibility to manage this migration on their terms, and we’ve collaborated closely with Microsoft to enable our customers to easily deploy and run desktop virtualization with Windows 10-based Wyse thin clients and Azure-ready vWorkspace software starting July 29.”
Bernardo Caldas, General Manager, Windows Business Planning, Microsoft
“With the proliferation of new devices in various form factors and an increasingly mobile work force, many organizations are looking to provide their employees a seamless, reliable, consistent and secure on-demand access to applications and Windows from wherever they are. Windows 10 offers a converged platform for devices ranging from desktops, laptops, and industry devices to enterprise thin client devices, helping partners such as Dell bring new enterprise grade security and simplified management capabilities to their devices.”
Pricing and Availability
- The Wyse 7490-Z90Q10 and 5490-D90Q10 thin clients will be available from Dell and through PartnerDirect partners in the United States and around the world starting July 29, 2015. Prices start at USD $659.00 for the 7000 series and USD $599.00 for the 5000 series.
- Wyse vWorkspace 8.6 will be available from Dell and through PartnerDirect partners in the United States and around the world starting July 31, 2015. The price starts at $97.50 per named user or per access device for Premier licensing, including first year maintenance and support.
- Unified Communications Command Suite 8.1 is available today.
Join us Oct. 20-22 at Dell World 2015, Dell’s flagship event bringing together technology and business professionals to network, share ideas and help co-create a better future. Learn more at www.dellworld.com and follow #DellWorld on Twitter.