Ciena Selected by O2 to Deploy Nationwide Network in the UK
Via Ciena News Room
Jun 15, 2015
High-speed, flexible and low latency 100G network will enable the roll-out of high bandwidth services
HANOVER, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun. 15, 2015-- To support a new high-speed nationwide backbone network throughout the United Kingdom, O2, the commercial brand of Telefónica UK Limited, is deploying Ciena’s (NYSE:CIEN) converged packet optical solutions. With this scalable 100G network, O2 has more flexibility in how the network is controlled and configured and can satisfy growing unpredictable demands for high-bandwidth mobile, video and cloud services. This new backbone network will connect major UK cities, including London, Manchester, Edinburgh and Liverpool, and enable O2 to deliver web-scale services to support massive growth in data center and network virtualization demands.
- This new network, powered by Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical platform, and equipped with WaveLogic 3 Coherent Optical Processors, will accommodate several terabits of traffic in O2’s backbone and, at the same time, respond dynamically to any demand changes. The ROADM-based network also provides flexible, low latency connectivity ensuring a superior end user experience.
- Additionally, O2 is deploying the 6500 platform equipped with packet switch modules, which enable seamless integration of packet and optical technologies to reduce total cost of operation and time-to-market for new services.
- Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System will provide O2 with comprehensive service visualization and network diagnostics, resulting in the efficient use of critical network assets and bandwidth optimization. O2 is also using a range of professional services via CienaSpecialist Services, including network planning, installation and turn-up services.
- “This network enhancement is a great example of O2’s commitment to our mission to provide our customers with a superior user experience. By selecting Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform and unified management solutions we will ensure that we have a high-speed and scalable network that can meet our customers’ demands and provide the foundation needed for high bandwidth consuming services.” – Brendan O’Reilly, CTO, O2
- “In today’s evolving web-scale world, it is crucial for providers like O2 to be able to respond to unpredictable and growing needs in order to deliver an on-demand experience for their customers. By utilizing the latest advancements in our converged packet optical solutions O2 will have the bandwidth, efficiency and agility needed to deploy faster and more robust connectivity nationwide.” – Francois Locoh-Donou, Senior Vice President,Global Products Group,Ciena