Thales and Google Cloud announce strategic partnership to jointly develop a trusted cloud offering in France
Oct 6, 2021
Thales and Google Cloud today announced a strategic agreement to co-develop a sovereign hyperscale cloud offering for France. Operated by a joint company with Thales as the majority shareholder, it will meet the criteria of the French ‘Trusted Cloud.’ With this new offering, French companies and public sector organizations will benefit from all the power, security, flexibility, agility and sovereignty offered by the respective technologies of the two organizations.
By addressing the highest legal and technical requirements for ‘Trusted Cloud’, the Thales and Google Cloud offering will enable private and public sector organisations who need to meet the criteria - defined by France’s Information Systems Security Agency (ANSSI)2 - to benefit from cloud computing services, in accordance with the country’s sovereign cloud strategy.
The joint offer of Thales and Google Cloud is based on the most advanced technologies and services of each partner. Google Cloud’s services, which will be enhanced and complemented with new innovations regularly, will bring elasticity, agility and technological openness, enabling companies to innovate transparently and autonomously, without vendor lock-in.
Thales, a leader in cybersecurity for more than 40 years, will bring the necessary guarantees of France’s sovereignty requirements by ensuring the management of encryption keys, access, identities, and cyber threat monitoring with its Cybersecurity Operations Center. Thales thus provides the levels of trust and of security required from French customers so that they can migrate their most sensitive applications to the cloud while maintaining control.
- French companies and public sector institutions will be able to benefit from a set of hyperscale cloud services that are:
- operated by a dedicated, newly formed company under French law, held in majority by Thales;
- hosted in France, within infrastructure that is separate from Google Cloud, with a separate network and servers controlled and operated by the new company;
- supported locally by the new company, ensuring customer service is handled in France;
- locally secured with identity management, data encryption, administration and supervision being provided by the new company;
- regularly enhanced via rolling software updates that are evaluated and validated within a security sandbox managed by Thales; and
- managed on a sustainably developed infrastructure.
About Google Cloud
Google Cloud accelerates organizations' ability to digitally transform their business with the best infrastructure, platform, industry solutions and expertise. We deliver enterprise-grade solutions that leverage Google's cutting-edge technology – all on the cleanest cloud in the industry. Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to enable growth and solve their most critical business problems.
Thales (Euronext Paris: HO) is a global leader in advanced technologies, investing in digital and “deep tech” innovations – connectivity, big data, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity and quantum computing – to build a confident future crucial for the development of our societies. The Group provides its customers – businesses, organisations and governments – in the defense, aeronautics, space, transport, and digital identity and security domains with solutions, services and products that help them fulfil their critical role, consideration for the individual being the driving force behind all decisions.
Thales has 81,000 employees in 68 countries. In 2020 the Group generated sales of €17 billion.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.