Hewlett Packard Enterprise launches edge platform solutions accelerating business efficiency and innovation
Nov 27, 2018
- HPE today announced new HPE Edgeline Converged Edge System solutions that speed the deployment and simplify the management of edge applications
- Based on an open platform, enterprises can seamlessly integrate a broad ecosystem of applications and operational technology (OT) devices
- This enables customers to act on the vast amounts of data generated by machines, assets and sensors from edge to cloud to drive efficiency and innovation
New HPE Edgeline Converged Edge System platform, technologies, and services provide unprecedented simplicity, manageability for turning data into action from edge to cloud
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) today announced new HPE Edgeline Converged Edge System solutions that speed the deployment and simplify the management of edge applications, enabling customers to act on the vast amounts of data generated by machines, assets and sensors from edge to cloud. Based on an open platform, enterprises can seamlessly integrate a broad ecosystem of applications and operational technology (OT) devices for edge deployments – driving efficiency and innovation in industries like manufacturing, energy, and telecommunications. The new solutions include:
- HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform , an open platform that automates the interplay between diverse operational technologies (OT) and standard-IT based applications at the edge to enable intelligent and autonomous decision making;
- HPE Edgeline systems management , the industry’s first systems management solutions designed specifically for the edge to ensure enterprise-grade reliability, connectivity and security;
- HPE Edgeline EL300 Converged Edge System featuring OT link and HPE Edgeline systems management, providing superior resilience against harsh edge environments for a broad range of industrial deployments; and
- HPE Edgeline Field Application Engineering Services are available from HPE Pointnext to help customers plan, build, and customize OT link-based Internet of Things (IoT) and cyber-physical systems.
"HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform automates the interplay between OT and IT”
According to Gartner, “by 2022, as a result of digital business projects, 75 percent of enterprise-generated data will be created and processed outside the traditional, centralized data center or cloud, up from less than 10 percent in 2018.” 
To turn edge data into insight for real-time action, it must be processed close to its source to avoid the latency, bandwidth, and cost issues of sending the data to a remote data center. However, this opportunity comes with a set of unique challenges, including management of remote infrastructure, and the necessity to seamlessly connect sensors and industrial assets with IT applications at the edge. New software, technology and services for HPE Edgeline Converged Edge Systems – an industry-first infrastructure category that converges OT and enterprise-grade IT in a single system – dramatically simplify and accelerate that task.
“Deploying IoT, edge, and cyber-physical systems is a challenge requiring a fresh look at uniting the physical and digital worlds,” said Dr. Tom Bradicich, Vice President and General Manager, Converged Servers, Edge and IoT Systems, HPE. “With today’s announcements, we enable our customers to accelerate the delivery of applications that capitalize on edge data, safeguarded by enterprise-class management. And we lay the groundwork for a new ecosystem of intelligent edge solutions to drive innovation and growth across industries.”
"With today’s announcements, we lay the groundwork for a new ecosystem of intelligent edge solutions”
Simplifying deployment of edge-to-cloud IoT and cyber-physical systems
Today, setting up an IoT or cyber-physical system is a laborious undertaking. It requires custom coding to orchestrate OT networks, control systems, and data flows with drivers, middleware, and applications running on IT systems. HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform is an open platform that significantly simplifies this process, reducing cost and time to market. The solution includes:
- HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform software, an open workflow engine and application catalogue, allowing customers to orchestrate components, data, and applications via a graphical drag-and-drop user interface. The HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform integrates an ecosystem of third-party applications running from edge to cloud – including AWS, Google, Microsoft, SAP, PTC, GE, and more – to make insights from the edge available across the enterprise and supply chain.
- HPE Edgeline OT Link certified modules , HPE-developed adapters that connect to a broad range of OT systems, enabling bi-directional, time-sensitive, and deterministic control and communication, including high-speed digital input/output, CAN bus, Modbus, or Profinet. APIs and SDKs for these adapters are made available to the industry to facilitate third-party designs of OT link modules. OT link will also integrate FPGA modules to give customers maximal flexibility to connect to any industrial input/output device.
“We’re excited about the potential of HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform to provide a powerful OT-ready physical platform for advanced OT applications such as Keysight’s PathWave Analytics,” said Christopher Cain, Vice President and General Manager of Keysight Technologies’ Electronic Industrial Products. “Enabling secure IoT devices and effective wireless communications, validated to the latest standards by Keysight’s 5G and IoT test suites, is critical to ensuring the optimal performance for our customer’s IoT solutions. When integrated with HPE’s Edgeline systems, this delivers a potent combination for high-volume measurement processing and real-time local control, while maintaining the highest quality of service.”
Enterprise-grade manageability and security at the edge
HPE also announced the industry’s first systems management solutions specifically designed to simplify the provisioning and management of edge infrastructure and applications, providing enterprise-grade manageability and security for remote systems with limited connectivity and IT expertise. HPE Edgeline Integrated System Manager is embedded into HPE Edgeline Converged Edge Systems and features one-click provisioning, ongoing system health management, remote updates, and management even with intermittent wired and wireless connections. It also supports advanced security functions like preventing system boot file changes and remote system disablement during a security event. HPE Edgeline Infrastructure Manager software can remotely manage thousands of Edgeline Converged Edge Systems. The HPE Edgeline Workload Orchestrator hosts a central repository for containerized analytics, AI, business, and IoT applications that can be pushed to HPE Edgeline Converged Edge Systems at the edge
Unparalleled convergence of OT and IT
HPE Edgeline EL300 Converged Edge System is a next-generation system featuring OT link and HPE Edgeline systems management. It provides superior flexibility to enable a wide variety of use cases through multiple wired and wireless industrial connectivity options. The HPE Edgeline EL300 is a fan-less, low-energy system equipped with Intel® Core™ i5 processors, up to 32GB of memory and 3TB of storage. It will also support Intel® Movidius™ Myriad™ X vision processing units to enable video analytics and AI inference at the edge. The HPE Edgeline EL300 provides enhanced resiliency against shock, vibration, humidity, and dust, including IP50 and MIL-SPEC certifications, and can operate from -30 to +70 degrees Celsius. These features make the HPE Edgeline EL300 suitable to be deployed as an embedded system – for example, in production machines or in building infrastructure.
"Our smart power grid generates terabytes of data per hour at the edge and relies on intelligent edge technologies connected to central analytics and cloud platforms,” said Dr. Steve Pratt, Chief Technology Officer, CenterPoint Energy. “CenterPoint Energy is enthused about continuing our partnership with HPE, as we explore applications for their Edgeline EL300 and Edgeline OT Link Platform to help us accelerate the deployment and improve operational efficiency of our edge-to-cloud solutions, while attaining our goal of safer and more efficient energy delivery for our customers.”
Expertise to accelerate deployment and create competitive advantage
To support these new offerings, HPE Pointnext, the services organization of Hewlett Packard Enterprise, provides HPE Edgeline Field Application Services , which help customers plan, design, build, and run IoT, edge and cyber-physical systems to accelerate deployment and ensure reliable and secure operation. These services include the evaluation of use cases, proof of value, solution deployment, and management of ongoing operations – helping customers get the most from OT/IT integrations.
Moreover, HPE Pointnext can help customers develop their own data acquisition, industrial network, and control components for HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform to create custom solutions and competitive advantage. HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform based solutions can be delivered on-premises with a turnkey deployment service, operated by HPE Pointnext.
Finally, HPE Edgeline EL300 Converged Edge System will be added to HPE GreenLake Flex Capacity, to deliver a consumption-based experience with usage-based payment, capacity metering, and tailored support, for customers who need a cloud-like experience for systems at the edge.
Availability and pricing
- HPE Edgeline EL300 Converged Edge System is now available globally, with list prices starting at $2,532
- HPE Edgeline Integrated System Manager is now available globally, and a zero-fee software license is included with HPE Edgeline EL300 Converged Edge Systems
- HPE Edgeline Infrastructure Manager is now globally available, with list prices starting at $499
- HPE Edgeline OT Link certified modules are now available globally, with list prices starting at $189
- HPE Edgeline Field Application Services are now available globally
- HPE Edgeline OT Link Platform and HPE Edgeline OTLink Workload Orchestrator will be available globally in the first quarter of 2019
 Gartner, Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2018: Cloud to the Edge, David Cearley, Bob Gill, et al., Published: March 8, 2018
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.