Telefónica deploys end-to-end managed private cloud with Hewlett Packard Enterprise for Codere
Feb 18, 2019
- The Spanish multinational in the private gambling sector will have a complete Microsoft Azure Stack solution in the Basque Country, offered by Telefónica and Hewlett Packard Enterprise and delivered as a Service, which will allow it to optimize and adapt its security systems according to the rules and regulations of the sector, save costs, access with Agility to the stored data and have updated all the infrastructure associated with the service it provides.
- This is the first time that Telefónica and Hewlett Packard Enterprise have implemented a project of this kind worldwide.
Madrid, February, 18th. – The Spanish operator of the private gambling, Codere, has become the first user of the new solution * ‘Microsoft Azure Stack as a Service’ (MASaaS) * , implemented jointly by Telefónica and Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE).
The collaboration between both companies has resulted in an end-to-end solution, consisting of a set of products and services delivered, as a whole, in the customer´s data centers.
‘MASaaS’ integrates from network connectivity to platforms and final applications, through the data center itself and all the software used. “The speed of the evolution of technology and the growth of business needs made it necessary for Codere to allocate 20% of the budget to the technological renovation of the infrastructure. With the adoption of this solution, growth is much more agile and flexible and the investment we have needed to make has been reduced by 43.2% compared to what was initially planned”, says Miguel Ángel Prieto Hortal, head of DevOps AADD of Codere. “The company has implemented this solution in the Basque Country, as this autonomous community has been the first to allow the primary Datacenter for a betting system to be in a ‘cloud’ format. According to the different autonomous agencies consider this same revision of the official regulations, Codere will extend the solution to other physical data centers”, he adds.
The main benefits of this Solution are:
- Alignment with all the requirements associated with the security, integrity and confidentiality of the information managed.
- Compliance with existing rules and regulations in the sector, both at the state and regional levels.
- Offering the same “user experience” in the “private cloud” mode as experienced in the “public cloud”.
- Simplicity of use, having a single point of contact for the global management of the service and resolution of any type of incident.
- Service Level Agreement (SLA) adapted and customized to the needs defined by Codere (time bands, response times, resolution times, service language, etc.).
- Cost savings and alignment with the business objectives, since including the advantages of the Cloud, such as scalability or payment, depending on consumption.
- Ability to centralize, in a single catalog and through the access portal of Azure Stack, personalized services in the system itself and a large part of Microsoft´s public cloud services (Azure).
“The more complex a solution deployed in the data center of a company is, so is its operation and administration. More and more companies are asking us for solutions hosted and managed in their own data centers, the same simplicity or minimum degree of management provided by public clouds, with our leading technologies”, explains Lluis Martínez HPE VP Enterprise Account Executive for Telefónica. “Therefore, Codere has received a real ‘on-premises’ and fully managed private cloud”, tailored to their needs, managed in service mode, which the company access through the Azure Stack Portal, being able to forget about any other system-management work that may be necessary. And this all, always counting with the solutions of our company, among which are ‘HPE GreenLake’ , ‘HPE Adaptive Management Services’ and ‘HPE ProLiant for Microsoft Azure Stack’ for hybrid cloud.
“With this Project, which we have implemented at the Codere headquarters in the Basque Country, and which could be replicated in the near future in other locations, we have managed to get the company to abandon the whole management of the platform (monitoring, operation and administration), and use it exactly as they would use a public cloud, paying monthly based on the use of the Azure Stack nodes. It is one more example of what a secured “Telefónica Multicloud’ project is. Through this type of projects, we adapt our solutions to the needs of each client, following the strategy of the company for the business market and its digital transformation under the Brand Telefónica Empresas. A strategy that we presented at the beginning of the year and that contemplates the elaboration of a unique proposal supported in six big business areas: connectivity, cloud, security, big data, IoT and digital workplace. In this way, companies are provided with a centralized service offer and from start to finish for each of the projects”, says Enrique González Lezana, Head of Cloud Services Marketing at Telefónica.
This solution, which is a Pioneer for both Telefónica and HPE, has the highest level of security and is fully operational since the end of January 2019.
Codere is a leading international private gaming operator with over 56,000 slot machines, 30,000 bingo seats and 7,400 sports betting terminals in Latin America, Spain and Italy, across various gaming venues, including 144 gaming halls, 1,085 arcades, closet to 10,000 bars, 634 sports betting shops and 4 horse racetracks.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.