Nokia small cells provide new mmWave and mid-band options to ensure optimal indoor and outdoor 5G coverage
Feb 20, 2019
- mmWave small cell offers flexible deployment to cover extreme-traffic outdoor areas with high capacity 5G connectivity
- Small cell mid-band radio enables operators to seamlessly upgrade indoor coverage to 5G
Ubiquitous 5G connectivity requires deploying high-band mmWave for ultra-high capacity but limited coverage and deploying lower bands for wider coverage with lower capacity. As operators densify their networks to meet the extreme capacity requirements of a variety of use cases, it is critical to deploy the appropriate small cell technology to ensure reliable 5G performance.
Kyung Mun, Principal Analyst, Mobile Experts said: "Nokia's expanding small cell portfolio, including 5G pico Remote Radio Heads and millimeter wave small cells, expands the operator's toolkit as they deploy 5G into challenging places. Expanding with 5G is critical, as demand is growing faster than capacity in the LTE network. Nokia's end-to-end capability puts them in position to tie things together-C-band, LAA, mm-wave, indoor, outdoor, for operators and private enterprises."
Mark Atkinson, Head of 5G and Small Cells of Nokia said: "Small cells are perfectly suited for using 5G mmWave and mid-bands to deliver very high capacity to support the busiest traffic areas and ensure subscribers always enjoy the highest quality services. We are building on our small cells leadership to enable operators to deploy almost any scenario of 4G indoor and outdoor capacity and coverage that can be upgraded to 5G New Radio using a choice of spectrum bands."
The new 5G AirScale mmWave Radio supports 28 GHz and 39 GHz bands to provide extreme high-capacity for the busiest traffic locations.
- Compact, high-power small cell offers a range of deployment options for easy installation.
- Allows 180-degree, 360-degree and multi-band deployments to provide flexible coverage that meets mmWave radio signal attenuation challenges.
- Support for eCPRI connectivity to a distributed data center provides high capacity fronthaul
- Can be flexible to support baseband unit functionality using a modular compact component
The new 5G pico Remote Radio Head supports sub-6 GHz to provide 5G coverage and capacity in busy indoor locations.
- Operators can upgrade existing installations to 5G simply by attaching 5G pico Remote Radio Heads directly to the AirScale smart HUB and by daisy-chaining them with existing legacy technology pico Remote Radio Heads.
- Deployable on an existing Distributed Antenna System.
- High 4 x 250 mW output power for a wide coverage area.
- New dual port Ethernet extender allows pico Remote Radio Heads to be located up to 200m away from the smart HUB for even greater deployment flexibility.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.