LTE successfully tested in the US over Citizen Broadband Radio Service (CBRS)
May 25, 2018
The move towards commercial deployment of LTE on Citizen Broadband Radio Service (CBRS) wireless spectrum ecosystem in the US has taken a major step forward with the successful test of 4G LTE technology over CBRS in Verizon’s live commercial network. Ericsson partnered with Verizon, Qualcomm and Federated Wireless to make it happen.
The United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has approved the 3.5GHz CBRS band for LTE use to improve wireless broadband access and performance in the US. Comprising 150 MHz of 3.5 GHz shared spectrum, the CBRS band has primarily been used by the federal government for radar systems.
The FCC decision means the band has been approved for shared use with wireless small cells. The shared spectrum approach is seen as key to meeting service providers’ network capacity challenges as data demands increase.
Describing the Florida test, which comprised both in-building and outdoor systems, as marking the beginning of commercial deployment of LTE on CBRS spectrum, Verizon said devices that can access the CBRS spectrum are expected in 2018.
ABOUT THE TEST
- Ericsson provided Ericsson Radio DOT system for indoor and Radio 2208 for outdoor for the test
- The deployment in Florida used a combination of Verizon licensed AWS and 700 MHz spectrum aggregated with 50 MHz of CBRS band 48 spectrum. The combination of these LTE Advanced features of multiple antennas, 256 QAM, and carrier aggregation across shared and licensed spectrum produced peak speeds of 790 Mbps
- Qualcomm Technologies provided the Qualcomm ® Snapdragon TM 845 mobile test device with X20 LTE for access to CBRS on mobile devices
- Federated Wireless provided the prioritization through their Spectrum Controller, a Spectrum Access System (SAS) that dynamically allocates channels within the FCC’s spectrum sharing framework for this band
- Ericsson also provided the domain proxy to enable the radios to communicate with the Federated Wireless Spectrum Controller.
- Verizon press release: You don’t need high grade Navy radar systems to spot which companies just achieved another industry milestone for customers
- Verizon and Ericsson lead the way on the road to 5G
- CBRS momentum grows as Ericsson and CommScope achieve interoperability success
- Ericsson and partners showcase first-of-its-kind CBRS demonstration
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.