Qualcomm Announces New Modem Solutions Designed to Support Reliable, Global Connectivity to the Internet of Things
Oct 27, 2015
— New MDM9207-1 Enables Scalable, Power-Efficient and Cost-optimized Cat 1 LTE Connectivity — —New MDM9206 Provides a Path to LTE Cat-M (eMTC) and NB-IOT Standards—
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., has introduced its latest LTE modems (the MDM9207-1 and MDM9206), which are designed to support reliable, optimized cellular connectivity to a growing array of devices and systems within the Internet of Things (IoT).
The MDM9207-1 is purpose-built for IoT applications like smart metering, security, asset tracking, wearables, point-of-sale and industrial automation – many of which require extremely reliable and power-efficient connections to cloud services. It offers Category 1 LTE connectivity with power and throughput optimizations, and other customizable features.
The MDM9206 will allow device manufacturers to enable cost-optimized solutions for low data rate IoT applications more efficiently addressed by a narrowband modem in addition to providing enhancements for ultra-low power and extended range as part of Cat-M (eMTC) and narrowband IoT (NB-IOT).
The introduction of MDM9207-1 and MDM9206 is another step in the Company’s efforts to expand 4G LTE and next generation cellular connectivity into new applications, and pioneer new technologies that will establish the foundation for a unified, more capable 5G platform for the next decade.
“Qualcomm Technologies continues to expand the capabilities of LTE to accelerate progress in IoT today with the MDM9207-1 and MDM9206,” said Anthony Murray, senior vice president and general manager, IoE, Qualcomm Technologies International Ltd. “These modems demonstrate our continued commitment to the expansion of existing LTE commercial device capability in addition to new standards-based Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) technologies that will lead to global cellular solutions with longer range, lower power and lower complexity, such as LTE Cat-M (eMTC) and NB-IOT.”
The MDM9207-1 offers device makers, system integrators and developers a mature modem platform that features industry-leading 3G/4G LTE multimode and multiband support, and is designed to support connections on major cellular networks worldwide. The platform offers advanced power saving features for devices that are persistently connected as well as for those that require infrequent communication to the network. It also features an integrated applications processor for Linux-based applications, proven global positioning for location services, and advanced security and authentication features – all in a highly-integrated package that reduces Bill-of-Materials (BOM) costs, design complexity and integration time.
Key customizable features for the MDM9207-1 include support for:
- LTE Category 1 up to 10 Mbps downlink and 5 Mbps uplink speeds with LTE multimode or LTE Single mode capability and dual Rx or single Rx
- Power Save Mode (PSM) enabling 10+ years battery life
- Major cellular standards, including LTE FDD, LTE TDD, DC-HSPA, GSM and TD-SCDMA
- Scalable software across chipset platforms
- Advanced, built-in hardware and software security features
- Integrated voice support for Circuit Switched Fall Back (CSFB) and VoLTE
- Integrated Applications Processor with ARM® Cortex A7 @ 1.2 GHz
- Linux OS for application development
- Integrated global positioning support for GPS, Beidou, Glonass, and Galileo
- Small package at 28nm LP to allow for optimized IoT form factors
- Pre-integrated support for Qualcomm® VIVE™ Wi-Fi 1x1, 802.11ac featuring Qualcomm® MU | EFX MU-MIMO technology and BT 4.1 BLE
- Qualcomm RF360™ Front End Solution
The MDM9207-1 chipset is anticipated to be available in commercial products in the first half of 2016. Features support and availability for the MDM9206 chipset is expected to align with the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Rel.13 standards timing for LTE Cat-M (eMTC) and NB-IOT.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.