Connected campers: EE trial the ‘4GEE Smart Tent’ at Glastonbury Festival
Jun 19, 2017
- EE has created the world’s first 4G-connected smart tent offering one lucky Glastonbury-goer the ultimate connected camping experience
- Inspired by Smart Home technology and suggestions from festival fans, the 4GEE Smart Tent features a bespoke mini fridge that tweets when stocks are running low, an entertainment centre that live streams select performances and a voice-activated party setting for late-night revelry
- The 4GEE Smart Tent will be pitched at Glastonbury Festival as Worthy Farm prepares over a million square metres of public camping on site
- The high tech tent will also act as a 4G WiFi hotspot keeping Glastonbury-goers connected throughout the festival
- Ticket holders on site can apply for the chance to spend a night in the 4GEE Smart Tent by replying to @EE on Thursday 22 June using the hashtag #4GEESmartTent
EE, Glastonbury Festival’s official technology and communications partner, is pitching the world’s first 4G-connected smart tent on site this year as festival organisers prepare over a million square metres of public camping. The 4GEE Smart Tent - an innovative connected camping experience situated in the middle of the 900 acre site - has been developed by the team at EE and is inspired by Smart Home technology and suggestions from festival fans on what would enhance their festival camping experience.
The 4GEE Smart Tent features a number of connected technologies including a bespoke mini fridge that tweets when stocks are running low, an entertainment centre that will show the BBC’s live streams of six stages from across the festival alongside exclusive Virtual Reality content captured on site and a voice-activated party setting to create the perfect late-night atmosphere. The tent will also act as a 4G WiFi hotspot from 10am-10pm every day keeping Glastonbury-goers connected throughout the festival.
New research from EE revealed that a fully stocked fridge with unlimited drink is the most desired item by festival-goers to complete their ultimate festival camping experience, 47 per cent of those surveyed chose this as their number one camping accessory. A comfy bed was close second with 44 per cent of the votes and a superfast internet connection – chosen by 29 per cent of festival-goers – wasn’t far behind in third place.
In response to the research and using the latest connected home technology the innovative 4GEE Smart Tent will feature:
- The world’s first 4G-connected mini fridge that tweets the user when stocks are running low
- A high-tech entertainment centre: an installation running down the centre of the 4GEE Smart Tent suspending six 4G-connected mobile devices. Each device will show the BBC’s live streams of six stages from across the festival
- The latest virtual reality Google Daydream headsets with exclusive Glastonbury Festival highlights in 360 degree video
- A voice-activated party setting, allowing guests to set the music and lighting mood using only their voice
- Superfast 4G WiFi so that guests can log on to the network to share their festival memories over social media
- The latest connected security camera which will live stream the interior of the tent to an app
- The connected tent will also feature a number of solar powered technologies including a wellington boot warmer so that guests can take off their boots at the end of a long day and allow them to dry overnight using heat generated throughout the day, a kettle, and fans to keep the 4GEE Smart Tent cool throughout the day
One lucky Glastonbury-goer will win the opportunity for themselves and a friend to stay in the 4GEE Smart Tent on Friday 23 June. The winner and their chosen guest will not only be treated to one night’s stay in the bespoke tent, but will also be escorted to the Pyramid Stage to watch one of the performances from the side of the stage. They will also receive a brand new Pixel, Phone by Google each and be served breakfast in bed on Saturday morning making sure they head off fully-fuelled for another day of Glastonbury Festival fun.
Mat Sears, Director of Communications and Sponsorship at EE, said:
“While camping is a massive part of any music festival, it’s not always the most comfortable experience, so we wanted to create a 4GEE Smart Tent that tested the latest tech-inspired comforts. The on-site 4G network we’re providing to Glastonbury revellers this year is the most powerful we’ve ever put in, and will help create the ultimate connected camping experience. We’re looking forward to selecting the one lucky Glastonbury-goer who’ll get to stay in the tent and enjoy it in all its high-tech glory."
Ticket holders wishing to enter for a chance to win this unforgettable night’s stay need to reply to @ee using the hashtag #4GEESmartTent between 09:00 on Thursday 22 June and 09:00 on Friday 23 June.
The 4GEE Smart Tent experience and free 4G WiFi offering for festival-goers forms part of the wider technology offering from EE on site which includes developing the official Glastonbury 2017 app – available for free to Android and iOS users now, an unrivalled 4G network, and phone charging either in the EE Recharge tent or with the Juice Tube Power Bank swapping service. Whether uploading selfies to Instagram, sharing memorable moments via Snapchat, checking in on Facebook, or joining the conversation on Twitter, EE customers will be able to share their experiences via our superfast network and spend more time embracing all Glastonbury has to offer.