The technologists of the future: CW’s updated 5G Private Testbed accelerator kicks off
Mar 10, 2022
【Cambridge, UK】The new cohort of UK companies, spanning multiple sectors, will look to unlock transformative, practical benefits from extended real-world application testing, with support from accelerator founder and host CW (Cambridge Wireless) and lead testbed partner Huawei.
The four accelerator companies in the latest cohort are:
- Conigital – a British driverless vehicle company, automating the way people and goods move, through a vision of greener, more efficient mobility, for all.
- i3 Simulations – an immersive training and education solutions company, specialising in healthcare training using cutting-edge Extended Reality (XR) technology;
- Renishaw – a global, high precision metrology and healthcare technology group, best known for its coordinate-measuring machines and machine tool products;
- PHINXT Robotics – a London-based start-up that develops hybrid-connected robotic logistics platforms, aiming to bring synchronised robotics to every warehouse.
Over the three-month independent 5G Private Testbed accelerator, the companies will also analyse cost and performance advantages to boost competitiveness, enabling them to disrupt their respective markets.
CW – the not-for-profit wireless technology membership body – has comprehensive experience running accelerators, with this March’s announced cohort being the third 5G-specific testbed project.
This year’s CW 5G Private Testbed has been updated to include Cellular IoT with NB-IoT for sensor-based networks, as well as significant outdoor 5G reach, to fully maximise opportunities for practical real-life testing – critical for moving from development phase to recognised technology.
Abhi Naha, Chief Commercial Officer at CW, is excited to see the latest cohort’s approaches, outputs and outcomes as the testbed programme progresses through March to May.
“As has been proven with previous cohorts, early access to an independent 5G testbed has enabled critical R&D and deployment of 5G-based solutions before their competition, resulting in a significant first-mover advantage, generating real business value not just for themselves, but also for their customers.
“We’re particularly excited to see the companies make use of the new cellular IoT and increased outdoor reach in fully road-testing their products.”
To ensure that participants benefit commercially from the testbed’s three-month R&D timeframe, CW and lead testbed partner Huawei are again offering expert technical and commercial consultancy, as well as using network connections to engage potential business partners and strengthen commercial propositions for the participants.
Victor Zhang, Huawei vice-president said: “There is nothing more important to Huawei than our investment in future technology, and Cambridge Wireless is a great example of this.
“We are now the second biggest investor in R&D in the world and we plan to maintain that position. I look forward to seeing the great tech that these companies come up with in the next few months. They are changing the world.”
The CW 5G Private Testbed, housed within the Cambridge Science Park, is fully operational and will feature:
A fully functional E2E private 5G network with indoor and outdoor coverage in the 3.4-3.7GHz frequency band now expanded to incorporate c-IoT support for sensor-based networks.
- 5G enabled devices such as CPE, handsets, VR glasses, modules and modems available for use;
- support to integrate new hardware, software and applications where required;
- technical experts from CW and Huawei to help define and run the use cases;
- commercial & business consultants from CW and Huawei to assist on the business case and potential channels to market;
- introduction and engagement with CW member network relating to vertical Industry sectors; and
- training, workshops and events.
For further information, please contact CW CCO Abhi Naha.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.