Cisco brings wired and wireless intent-based networking to the masses
Nov 13, 2018
LAS VEGAS, NV, Cisco Partner Summit—November 13, 2018 — For over two decades, the Catalyst family of switches have been known for pushing the limits of what the network could do. Last year, Cisco’s Catalyst 9000 switches pushed those limits even further by introducing the world to intent-based networking, helping big networks learn, adapt and evolve. Now, Cisco is expanding its iconic Catalyst portfolio to all access, including the branch, across wired and wireless. And it is bringing intent-based networking to deployments of all sizes, delivering a smarter, simpler and more secure network to more customers than ever before.
“We’re excited to bring the full power of Cisco’s intent-based capabilities to everyone, everywhere,” said Sachin Gupta, senior vice president, Product Management, Enterprise Networking at Cisco. “We want to give IT the tools they need to automate and see the network end-to-end. Our expanded Catalyst 9000 portfolio lets customers do this not only for large wired networks, but for wireless and simple branch deployments too.”
Intent-based networking represents a fundamental shift in the way that networks are built and managed. One that does away with the old manual, time-intensive, error-prone way of doing things. Instead, these modern networks capture business intent and translate it into network policies. This allows the network to be automatically configured in minutes, with the assurance that it has happened correctly.
New Catalyst Products
The Cisco Catalyst 9000 Series was built from the ground up for intent-based networking. It runs on a single, open, programmable OS that powers all access and WAN products. This allows Cisco customers to turn on new software innovations faster, simplify IT operations, and lower costs. A single software controller automates the entire network, while programmable ASICs provide unmatched investment protection. And security is embedded into the network, instead of bolted on.
By extending the Catalyst 9000 Family to wireless deployments and mid-market customers, Cisco is bringing the new era of networking to even more customers. New products include:
- New Wireless Controller: For the first time, customers can run consistent security, automation and analytics services across wired and wireless environments by leveraging the same OS. The Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller can be run anywhere—on premise, in any cloud, or embedded virtually on Catalyst 9000 switches. It supports today’s wireless standards and is ready for the 802.11ax standard. It also elevates wireless services with software updates without disruption, new threat defense and advanced programmability.
- New Mid-Market Switch: The Catalyst 9200 switches extend intent-based networking to simple branch deployments and mid-market customers. For the first time, the mid-market gets access to the full suite of enterprise services, all at a similar price point as the previous generation of Cisco switches. Simplicity without compromise. And with the security and resiliency customers have come to expect from the Catalyst family.
Availability, Services and Support
- The Catalyst 9800 Wireless Controllers will be available in Q4CY18
- The Catalyst 9200L switches will be available in Q4CY18, with the Catalyst 9200 switches available in Q1CY19
- Cisco and its partners offer a full lifecycle of services to help customers streamline the journey to truly intent-based networks.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.