Ericsson Mobility Report update: Global 5G subscriptions top one billion
Feb 23, 2023
Some 136 million 5G subscriptions were added globally between October and December 2022, bringing the total to just above one billion.
At the close of 2022, 235 communications service providers (CSPs) had launched commercial 5G services. About 35 CSPs have deployed or launched 5G standalone (SA) networks.
The three-page Q4 2022 update is an addendum to the full edition of the Ericsson Mobility Report, published in November 2022, which includes retrospective statistics up to, and including, the third financial quarter of 2022.
Among other statistics, the Q4 update shows:
- There were more than 8.4 billion mobile subscriptions at the close of 2022 - a net addition of 39 million between October-December 2022.
- Nigeria accounted for the most mobile subscriptions net additions between October-December 2022, accounting for more than four million. More than four million were also added in the Philippines and more than three million in
- There were about 6.1 billion unique mobile subscribers at the close 2022.
- Mobile broadband accounts for about 86 percent of all mobile subscriptions.
- Mobile network data traffic grew 40 percent between Q4 2021 and Q4 2022, reaching 118 EB (exabytes) per month.
- There was a ten percent quarter-on-quarter mobile network data traffic growth between Q3 2022 and Q4 2022.
- Mobile network data traffic has doubled in just two years.
- 4G subscriptions increased by 36 million from October-end of December 2022 to around 5.1 billion, representing 60 percent of all mobile subscriptions
- WCDMA/HSPA subscriptions fell by 89 million during Q4, 2022, while GSM/EDGE-only subscriptions dropped by 40 million during the same period.
Ericsson is counting down and looking forward to Mobile World Congress 2023 in Barcelona.
Feel welcome to join the #ericssonmwc conversation at #mwc23
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.