Alcatel-Lucent’s Rapport™ communications software to enable China Mobile to launch VoLTE services
Aug 10, 2015
Paris, France, August 10, 2015
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is to deploy its Rapport™ communications software with the world’s largest telecommunications service provider, China Mobile, enabling it to simplify and consolidate video, voice and messaging services onto a single platform.
As a result of the deployment, China Mobile will be able to offer high-quality, high-definition VoLTE (voice over LTE) services for the first time in China, paving the way for future cloud-based services.
China Mobile will be able to leverage Rapport’s native APIs and WebRTC (Web Real Time Communications) capabilities to create new contextual applications and services, enabling subscribers to personalize how they connect with others using video, voice and messaging on any connected device. The deployment will also set the stage for China Mobile to offer new services through the use of voice over Wi-Fi®.
In addition to enhancing the subscriber experience with all-IP services, VoLTE allows communications providers such as China Mobile to migrate 3G networks to LTE and re-use spectrum, to realize new cost and operational efficiencies.
China Mobile will deploy Rapport in nine provinces, including some of the most densely populated provinces in China with the highest GDP, such as the coastal provinces of Jiangsu and Zhejiang, as well as the cities of Shanghai and Chongqing.
Key Facts :
- In China Mobile’s first central bid for VoLTE, Alcatel-Lucent will deploy Rapport in nine provinces. This follows the signing of a comprehensive frame agreement in June 2015 for the delivery of ultra-broadband access, IP networking and NFV technologies.
- Using the Rapport communications software China Mobile will provide its consumer and business customers with new video, voice and messaging services regardless of device or whether they are in a fixed or mobile environment.
- Alcatel-Lucent will deploy the full suite of Rapport communications software including CSCF (Call Session Control Function), Application Servers and Session Border Controllers.
- Rapport communications software is based on a fully re-architected version of the Alcatel-Lucent IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS), the foundation for the company’s award-winning Voice over LTE (VoLTE) technology.
- Alcatel-Lucent is the VoLTE market leader with more than 128 million VoLTE subscriber licenses shipped* and offers a complete VoLTE and VoWiFi solution, including the LTE RAN, EPC, IMS, Motive, and Professional Services.
- An NFV-based (network functions virtualization) solution, Rapport will enable China Mobile to benefit from efficiencies made available by NFV as their customers’ data demands change and more devices connect to the network. China Mobile is also conducting a trial of Rapport for an NFV-based VoLTE solution.
- In a recent study of smartphone users, Alcatel-Lucent identified new opportunities for service providers to differentiate their offers using the Rapport communications software. Results are being published in a set of reports titled “5,504 Smartphone Consumers Can’t be Wrong – 7 New Mobile Service Opportunities”.
Bhaskar Gorti, President of Alcatel-Lucent’s IP Platforms business, said: “Rapport was created to simplify communication networks for service providers such as China Mobile. The new platform allows them to seamlessly deliver superior revenue-generating VoLTE services together with video and messaging, allowing their subscribers to communicate in whichever way they prefer, wherever they are and using any fixed or mobile device.”
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.