Juniper Networks collaborates with Telefonica Spain to support the advent of 5G, IoT and online services
Feb 20, 2019
LONDON and MADRID, Spain, Feb. 20, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Juniper Networks, an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, and Telefónica, a leading global service provider, today announced the next iteration of the Telefónica Spain Fusión Network project to meet the growing demands for connectivity across the region for the next three years.
Telefónica designed the Fusión Network to transform the customer experience for mobile, residential and business services across Spain. Since its inception in 2015, across the edge and core of the network, the demand for its services has exceeded expectations, which anticipated a 250 percent increase between 2015 and 2019. This, combined with emerging network connectivity developments, including the likes of 5G and IoT, streaming personal and professional content and the ongoing adoption of cloud services, Telefónica Spain is evolving its network further to meet demand for high performance connectivity in its mobile core, as well as provide high-speed links directly into many of the major global content provider platforms and cloud services.
To accomplish this evolution of its Fusión Network, Telefónica Spain will invest in a range of Juniper solutions, including:
- Juniper’s MX 10K Series - providing a dedicated network for content providers – as well as upgrading existing MX series chassis with MPC10E and MPC11E powered by Juniper’s Penta Silicon - for the growth of the existing Fusión Network - both delivering higher 100GbE density and supporting the evolution to 400GbE interfaces.
- A three-year support agreement, leveraging Juniper’s expertise via its Professional Services division for installation and maintenance, as well as remote support through a combination of JTAC and Telefónica’s own on-premises proactive support.
This deployment will provide a host of benefits, including:
- Significantly increase network capacity in order to meet existing and future demand.
- The ability to further simplify and modernize the network to offer advanced services that greatly enhance the customer experience.
- Integration of new, high-level connectivity lines directly into major service providers, including global content streaming services, cloud providers and Software-as-a-Service platforms.
- An automation-ready technology platform, to cope with Telefónica’s plan for digitalization for even faster provisioning and support, thereby reducing time-to-service activation and enabling simpler overall operation and maintenance.
“As Telefónica Spain continues to look to the future, we recognize the need for an increasingly scalable, streamlined and highly automated network that can enable rapid service delivery and tailored customer experiences at a competitive price. This partnership with Juniper is a further step in Telefónica’s technological transformation strategy.” - Joaquin Mata, chief technology officer, Telefónica Spain
“The success of Telefónica’s Fusión Network speaks for itself and we are proud to have been involved from the beginning and through each stage of its evolution. Beyond providing future-proof innovative technology, Juniper is committed to helping Telefónica accomplish its strategic objectives, while simultaneously eradicating complexity and providing support and professional services throughout the different phases of the deployment and operation of its expanding network.” - Bikash Koley, chief technology officer, Juniper Networks
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.