ITU Radiocommunication Assembly sets stage for further evolution of innovative digital technologies
Oct 25, 2019
Sharm El-Sheikh, 25 October 2019: The ITU Radiocommunication Assembly (RA-19) concluded today charting future directions in radiocommunication systems and information and communication technologies. Chaired by Mr Sergey Pastukh of the Russian Federation, RA-19 set future work programmes for the ITU Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) and approved a range of radiocommunication standards (ITU-R Recommendations) and Resolutions that will have a global impact on future radiocommunication technologies.
- Enhancements to television, sound and multimedia broadcasting systems while outlining a roadmap for developing countries and promoting accessibility for persons with disabilities and specific needs.
- Advanced technologies for short-range devices (SRD) in support of the Internet of Things, with applications for radio-frequency identification devices (RFID) and certain types of medical devices.
- Railway radiocommunications systems between train and trackside (RSTT), which are vital to provide improved railway traffic operations in a high-speed environment.
- Ongoing enhancements to International Mobile Telecommunications (IMT), including IMT-2020 – also known as 5G – and the evolving convergence of a number of industries and services.
- Deployment of international public telecommunications via satellite in developing countries to foster affordable and universal access, particularly through global coverage and delivery of next-generation broadband technologies along with a focus on capacity-building.
"The Radiocommunication Assembly has done a stellar job in updating and adopting Resolutions on innovative technologies as well as updating a number of standards that will shape the further development of radiocommunication systems," said Mr Mario Maniewicz, Director of the ITU Radiocommunication Bureau. "The outcomes of RA-19 have set the stage for the World Radiocommunication Conference, which will play a pivotal role in shaping tomorrow's digital communication ecosystem."
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.