Infinera unveils XTM II for cloud scale metro packet-optical applications
Jun 14, 2017
Sunnyvale, Calif. – June 13, 2017, 8:00 a.m. EDT USA – Infinera, a provider of Intelligent Transport Networks, unveiled today the XTM II, a next generation packet-optical platform delivering rich Layer 0, Layer 1 and Layer 2 services with high density, low latency and low power consumption. XTM II is optimized for bandwidth-intensive cloud scale applications at the metro edge, such as Remote PHY, 5G transport and data center interconnect (DCI), that are deployable in facilities with restricted space and power.
The new platform retains all the flexibility and service richness of the widely deployed XTM Series, but now adds 200 gigabits per second (200G) per wavelength capabilities, with an eightfold density increase and a reduction in power per gigabit of 3.5 times. The new portfolio delivers what the company believes is the lowest power consumption in the industry for 100/200G transport, while retaining excellent density and low latency for demanding high-performance applications. The new XTM II also features Infinera Instant Bandwidth, an open flexible grid line system and SDN control, to give network operators a highly flexible, open and software-programmable packet-optical solution for Layer 0, Layer 1 and Layer 2 services.
A key component of the XTM II platform is the new range of 200G per wavelength traffic units, featuring:
- The 400G Flexponder: A dual, 200G muxponder that uses 16QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) for high-capacity transport, or a dual 100G transponder that uses quadrature phase-shift keying (QPSK) for longer reach operation. This device provides 400G of line and client capacity per slot, giving an eightfold density increase over the previous generation. Including optics, the device operates at as low as 20 watts per 100G service, which the company believes is the lowest power consumption per 100G available in the industry on any wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM)-based platform.
- The 200G Muxponder: A 200G Layer 1 muxponder that supports a broad range of client signals, including 10G/40G/100G Ethernet and Optical Transport Network (OTN) as well as 8/16/32G Fibre Channel. The device can also be paired to create an OTN add-drop multiplexer (ADM).
- The EMXP440 Packet-Optical Transport Switch: A high-capacity addition to the existing range of EMXP devices that provides Layer 2 packet-optical switching with dual 100/200G ports and 12 or 24 10G ports. The EMXP440 supports Carrier Ethernet (CE) and MPLS-TP, packet transport with sub-50 milliseconds protection, Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) CE 2.0 service creation and quality of service-aware traffic aggregation. In addition, the EMXP440 has feature-harmonization with the EMXP/IIe range and PT-Fabric.
To enable network operators to fully capitalize on the capabilities of the new 200G per wavelength traffic units and future traffic units operating at 400G and above, Infinera has enhanced other aspects of the XTM Series with:
- A new portfolio of XTM II upgraded chassis for improved power management and cooling and increased density to support nodes that require large volumes of new traffic units. The XTM II is completely forward and backward compatible, enabling new traffic units to be deployed in the large installed base of existing XTM Series chassis, and allows previously released traffic units to be deployed in the new chassis. This flexibility provides current and future customers with excellent investment protection.
- Instant Bandwidth capability, enabling the on-demand licensing of 100G bandwidth increments to align capital expense spend with service revenue and to reduce operational expenses through automated software activation of new capacity.
- New 400G+ per wavelength-ready flexible grid 4x and 9x ROADM modules and optimized hybrid erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA)/Raman optical amplifiers to support sophisticated modulation formats and higher baud rates required above 100G. In addition, the new XTM II open flexible grid line system supports fiber capacity up to 24 terabits per second.
- A unified solution providing end-to-end software control from core to access. The XTM Series, including the XTM II, is supported by Infinera's Xceed Software Suite and DNA network management system. This new range of packet-optical platforms provides network operators with leading low power and high density at Layer 0, Layer 1 and Layer 2, and supports full interworking with the large installed base of XTM Series and the DTN-X platforms.
"Service providers are moving packet intelligence closer to the edge of the transport network to support high-capacity and low-latency applications like the Remote PHY requirements of Cable MSOs," said Andrew Schmitt, Founder and Lead Analyst at Cignal AI. "The Infinera XTM II supports metro packet-optical applications with WDM uplink speeds up to 200G, while maintaining support for the installed base and the wider XTM Series."
"While backward compatibility is key as it allows current customers to take advantage of over 30,000 existing XTM Series chassis, what is more significant are the capabilities XTM II brings to new networks deployed by both new and existing customers," said Karl Thedéen, Infinera Senior Vice President, Head of Metro Business Group. "With XTM II, our customers can build groundbreaking networks with incredible capacity and high performance at Layer 0, Layer 1 and Layer 2 without limitations. Using features such as Instant Bandwidth, DNA management and Xceed SDN control, along with seamless DTN-X long-haul solutions compatibility, we are helping our customers build unified end-to-end networks."
The XTM II chassis are already shipping to customers and the 400G Flexponder will be available in Q3, with additional components of XTM II available by the end of 2017.
The XTM II will be showcased at the Next Generation Optical Networking (NGON) event held in Nice, France from June 20 to 22, 2017. At the event, Infinera will demonstrate XTM II in the Infinera Express, Infinera's mobile demonstration lab, and will showcase the solution in booth A15.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.