HP Doubles Down on Big Data Opportunity with New Products, Services, and Developer Programs
Via HP (US)
Aug 12, 2015
HP delivers new analytics capabilities, extensive support for open source, and launches startup accelerator program
PALO ALTO, Calif., Aug. 11, 2015 – HP today unveiled a series of new products, services, and programs designed to help organizations leverage data and analytics to build new products and experiences, run more efficiently, and differentiate against the competition.
At today’s HP Big Data Conference in Boston, the company announced:
- A new release of HP Vertica, which will feature data streaming and advanced log file text search to power high-speed analytics on Internet of Things (IoT) data.
- Extensive support for and contributions to open source technologies, including optimized Hadoop performance, integration with the Apache Kafka distributed messaging system, and advancements in Distributed Rpredictive analytics.
- The HP Haven Startup Accelerator program, which provides early-stage companies with fast, affordable access to both HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software and services.
Today’s announcements further accelerate HP’s differentiated big data strategy – around enabling organizations to harness data of all types, including emerging forms such Internet of Things device data, leveraging important new open source projects, and providing developers and early stage companies with the tools they need to become successful, data driven organizations.
“Developers are the new heroes of the Idea Economy,” said Colin Mahony ( @cpmahony ), SVP and GM, HP Big Data Software. “HP is uniquely positioned to help businesses and developers thrive in this new world. Through our Haven and Haven OnDemand platforms, we are empowering these heroes to transform their business through data, by allowing them to harness the value of all forms of information, rapidly connect and apply open source, and quickly access the tools they need to build winning businesses.”
New Release of HP Vertica Delivers Powerful New Streaming and High-Speed Analytics Capabilities
HP today announced a new version of HP Vertica, the industry’s fastest SQL database, code named “Excavator.” Capabilities include:
- Data streaming analytics – Excavator will offer native support for the Apache Kafka open source distributed messaging system to enable organizations to quickly ingest and analyze high-speed streaming data, including Internet of Things, in near real-time. This capability delivers actionable insight for a wide range of use cases, including manufacturing process control, supply chain optimization, healthcare monitoring, financial risk management, and fraud detection.
- Advanced Machine Log Text Search – Excavator will enable organizations to collect and index large log file data sets generated by systems and business applications, helping IT organizations to quickly identify and predict application failures and cyber-attacks, and investigate authorized and unauthorized access.
HP Embraces Big Data Open Source with Breakthrough Advances
HP also released a series of innovations that enable organizations to combine the innovation of open source with the enterprise-scale, reliability, and security of HP’s Big Data platform. These include:
- HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop native file support – the new version of Vertica brings significant increase in performance on popular Hadoop formats like ORC and Parquet. Specifically, HP worked collaboratively with Hortonworks to develop a new high-performance access layer that enables SQL queries to run directly on ORC files, resulting in a 5x increase in execution times.
- HP Vertica Flex Zone Table Library – HP has open sourced its innovative Flex Table “schema on-need” technology to the global developer community. With this move, organizations will be able to fully harness virtually any form of semi-structured data to meet their unique needs.
- Native Integration with Apache Spark – HP announced its future commitment to integrate Vertica with Apache Spark. This will enable accelerated data transfer between Vertica and Spark, allowing organizations to take full advantage of their Spark-based deployments. This future capability will enable the developer community to build their models in Spark and run them in Vertica for high-speed and sophisticated analytics.
"Together, Hortonworks and HP have jointly teamed to take big data analytical performance to the next level by combining the comprehensive, high-performance analytics of HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop with the Hortonworks Data Platform,” said Matt Morgan, vice president of product and alliance marketing at Hortonworks ( @hortonworks ). “We've seen firsthand how organizations are looking for this class of modern architecture to power the next-generation of real-time analytics applications. This is proof of our commitment with HP to address the business and technology needs of our customers and the broader big data marketplace.”
HP Haven Startup Accelerator Brings Enterprise-Class Big Data to Early-Stage Companies
HP also unveiled The HP Haven Startup Accelerator, a new program designed to support and expand HP’s ecosystem of developers and innovators by making HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software products accessible to early-stage companies. The program removes traditional barriers for organizations looking to leverage analytics and data to build powerful, differentiated applications. Qualified participants will benefit from the following program components:
- Free usage of the community versions of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with expanded capacity.
- Premium version of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with attractive pricing
- HP Application Delivery Management tools including HP Agile Manager, HP LeanFT, and HP LoadRunner.
HP Haven Apps Framework Accelerates Solution Development
HP also announced an innovative framework of technology and proven best practices to accelerate the development of next-generation analytical applications. This framework extends the HP Haven Big Data Platform with quick-start visualization, syndicated data feeds, open on-premise and cloud-based APIs. This enables HP Professional Services and HP partners to quickly deliver a range of solutions, such as voice of customer, smart cities, and fraud detection.
HP’s Hardware Platforms Optimized for Big Data
HP’s hardware platforms for big data include traditional HP ProLiant DL380 clusters, purpose-built Apollo 4510, 4530 and 4200 compute and storage servers, and HP’s innovative asymmetric Big Data Reference Architecture. These systems enable customers to optimize their big data workloads, delivering the power of Haven to their business. This week at the HP Big Data Conference, HP will demonstrate the power of Vertica SQL on Hadoop running on HP’s unique, asymmetric Big Data Reference Architecture, purpose-built from HP Moonshot and Apollo servers.
“We have high confidence in each Vertica release and we upgrade quickly to take advantage of the new advancements and features,” said Jack Gudenkauf, VP, Big Data, Playtika “With 'Excavator', we are heartened to see HP continually embrace and integrate with open source technologies like Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, and R, affording us more choices for developing a truly advanced modern architecture and avoiding vendor lock-in.”
“With 70 million consumers using YP each month, we are always looking at new ways to drive better performance in how we analyze the more than 3 billion events we process daily,” said Bill Theisinger, VP of Engineering at YP ( @ypforbusiness ). “In working with HP, we have been impressed with the performance of Vertica for SQL on Hadoop and with the flexibility the ORCReader allows in our architectural and design decisions. Coupled with ORCReader, HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop gives us the ability to analyze our data quicker and to execute queries in ways which we have not been previously able to do. It is a game changer.”
This week’s HP Big Data Conference will feature a wide range of customer speakers, including representatives from Citi, Etsy, Facebook, Ford Motor Company, GlaxoSmithKline, Kiva, New York Genome Center, Playtika, and Snagajob who will share their story on how they use HP software to become data driven organizations. Keep up with HP Big Data Conference happenings by following the hashtag #HPBigData2015 and follow @HPBigData.
Planned availability for new HP Haven Big Data offerings and services is set for fall of 2015.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.