At their 70th General Assembly held on 28-29 November 2017, ETSI members selected a new Board and reelected Dirk Weiler of Nokia as Chairman of the ETSI Board.
Dirk has held various ETSI leadership positions during the last decade. He has chaired the ETSI IPR Special Committee since 2008 and has been Chairman of the Board since 2014. Dirk served as the Chairman of the ETSI General Assembly from 2010 to 2014.
Dirk is a member of the CEN-CENELEC-ETSI Joint Presidents' Group, member of the DIN Presidential Committee FOKUS.ICT and the ETSI representative to the European Commission's ICT Multi-Stakeholder Platform. He is Head of Standards Policy in Nokia, where he is responsible for standardization policy and Nokia’s membership portfolio. Prior to 2007 Dirk held various management positions in the areas of development, research, intellectual property, standardization and marketing in the communication business of Siemens. Dirk has worked actively in standardization for over 30 years on technical, strategic and policy issues in organizations such as ETSI, 3GPP, ITU and OMA. Dirk has been working in mobile communications since he joined Siemens in 1985 starting with the development of the Mobile Communication System C450.
The ETSI Board meets regularly and operates under powers delegated by the ETSI General Assembly, in particular being responsible for managing ETSI’s Technical Committees. The Board consists of up to 30 members, including two seats reserved for representatives of SMEs and of Users. Members of the ETSI Board are elected for a three-year term of office.
ETSI Director General, Mr. Luis Jorge Romero, works closely with the leaders of the General Assembly and the Board in the management of the institute.
The members of the ETSI Board for the new mandate period 2017-2020 are:
- Niels ANDERSEN, Anemone Technology;
- Rémi ARQUEVAUX, Ministère de l’Economie et des Finances, France;
- Howard BENN, Samsung R&D Institute UK;
- Jorge BONIFACIO, PT Portugal SGPS SA;
- Angel BOVEDA, Wireless partners S.L.L.;
- Chris CLIFTON, Sony Europe Ltd;
- Axel FERRAZZINI, GovStrat SPRL;
- Jochen FRIEDRICH, IBM Europe;
- Lindsay FROST, NEC Europe Ltd;
- Marc GRANT, AT&T GNS Belgium SPRL;
- Simon HICKS, Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sports, UK;
- Kevin HOLLEY, BT plc;
- Jamshid KHUN-JUSH, Qualcomm CDMA Technologies GmbH;
- Magnus MADFORS, Ericsson Telefonaktiebolaget LM;
- Pierpaolo MARCHESE, Telecom Italia;
- Markus MUECK, Intel Deutschland GmbH;
- Adrian NEAL, Vodafone Group plc;
- Neviana NIKOLOSKI, Phonak Communications AG;
- Gabrielle OWEN, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Netherlands;
- Heinz POLSTERER, Deutsche Telekom AG;
- Dominique ROCHE, eG4U;
- Nick SAMPSON, Orange;
- Alain STARON, Veolia Environnement SA;
- Christian TOCHE, Huawei Technologies France;
- Sebastiano TOFFALETTI, SBS aisbl;
- Bogdan TOPIČ, SIST;
- Isabelle VALET-HARPER, Microsoft Europe SARL;
- Dirk WEILER, Nokia Solutions and Networks GmbH & Co. KG;
- Helene WORKMAN, Apple (UK) Ltd;
- Christoph WÖSTE, BMWi, Germany.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.