Twitter 2.0: Our continued commitment to the public conversation
Dec 1, 2022
Twitter’s mission is to promote and protect the public conversation--to be the town square of the internet. We have always understood that to reach this goal we must give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information, instantly without barriers. Today, we are a new company embarking on a new chapter, but our steadfast commitment to this mission has not changed. In fact, we are better positioned to realise our ambitions than ever before.
We’ve always understood that our business and revenue are interconnected with our mission; they rely on each other. Brand safety is only possible when human safety is the top priority. All of this remains true today.
What has changed, however, is our approach to experimentation. As you’ve seen over the past several weeks, Twitter is embracing public testing. We believe that this open and transparent approach to innovation is healthy, as it enables us to move faster and gather user feedback in real-time. We believe that a service of this importance will benefit from feedback at scale, and that there is value in being open about our experiments and what we are learning. We do all of this work with one goal in mind: to improve Twitter for our customers, partners, and the people who use it across the world.
As we carry out this work, we want to assure you of a few things:
- First, none of our policies have changed. Our approach to policy enforcement will rely more heavily on de-amplification of violative content: freedom of speech, but not freedom of reach.
- Our Trust & Safety team continues its diligent work to keep the platform safe from hateful conduct, abusive behaviour, and any violation of Twitter's rules. The team remains strong and well-resourced, and automated detection plays an increasingly important role in eliminating abuse.
- When urgent events manifest on the platform, we ensure that all content moderators have the guidance they need to find and address violative content.
- As we improve our policies and processes, bad actors will also develop new methods of disruption. This is not new. Our team of experts is constantly adapting to identify and defuse threats, and we are proud of our early results: impressions on violative content are down over the past month, despite the growth in overall usage on the platform.
- Finally, as we embark on this new journey, we will make mistakes, we will learn, and we will also get things right. Throughout, we’ll communicate openly with our users and customers, to get and share your feedback as we build.
We remain committed to providing a safe, inclusive, entertaining, and informative experience for everyone. We will continue to be transparent as we move through this transition period. And we will listen to you, the people who make Twitter what it is: the town square of the internet.
The Twitter Team
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.