Microsoft Cloud strength drives first quarter results
Oct 25, 2022
REDMOND, Wash. — Microsoft Corp. today announced the following results for the quarter ended September 30, 2022, as compared to the corresponding period of last fiscal year:
- Revenue was $50.1 billion and increased 11% (up 16% in constant currency)
- Operating income was $21.5 billion and increased 6% (up 15% in constant currency)
- Net income was $17.6 billion and decreased 14% (down 8% in constant currency)
- Diluted earnings per share was $2.35 and decreased 13% (down 7% in constant currency)
“In a world facing increasing headwinds, digital technology is the ultimate tailwind,” said Satya Nadella, chairman and chief executive officer of Microsoft. “In this environment, we’re focused on helping our customers do more with less, while investing in secular growth areas and managing our cost structure in a disciplined way.”
“This quarter Microsoft Cloud revenue was $25.7 billion, up 24% (up 31% in constant currency) year-over-year. We continue to see healthy demand across our commercial businesses including another quarter of solid bookings as we deliver compelling value for customers,” said Amy Hood, executive vice president and chief financial officer of Microsoft.
Revenue in Productivity and Business Processes was $16.5 billion and increased 9% (up 15% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:
- Office Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 7% (up 13% in constant currency) driven by Office 365 Commercial revenue growth of 11% (up 17% in constant currency)
- Office Consumer products and cloud services revenue increased 7% (up 11% in constant currency) and Microsoft 365 Consumer subscribers grew to 61.3 million
- LinkedIn revenue increased 17% (up 21% in constant currency)
- Dynamics products and cloud services revenue increased 15% (up 22% in constant currency) driven by Dynamics 365 revenue growth of 24% (up 32% in constant currency)
Revenue in Intelligent Cloud was $20.3 billion and increased 20% (up 26% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:
- Server products and cloud services revenue increased 22% (up 28% in constant currency) driven by Azure and other cloud services revenue growth of 35% (up 42% in constant currency)
Revenue in More Personal Computing was $13.3 billion and decreased slightly (up 3% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:
- Windows OEM revenue decreased 15%
- Windows Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 8% (up 15% in constant currency)
- Xbox content and services revenue decreased 3% (up 1% in constant currency)
- Search and news advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs increased 16% (up 21% in constant currency)
- Devices revenue increased 2% (up 8% in constant currency)
Microsoft returned $9.7 billion to shareholders in the form of share repurchases and dividends in the first quarter of fiscal year 2023, a decrease of 11% compared to the first quarter of fiscal year 2022.
Microsoft will provide forward-looking guidance in connection with this quarterly earnings announcement on its earnings conference call and webcast.
Quarterly Highlights, Product Releases, and Enhancements
Every quarter Microsoft delivers hundreds of products, either as new releases, services, or enhancements to current products and services. These releases are a result of significant research and development investments, made over multiple years, designed to help customers be more productive and secure and to deliver differentiated value across the cloud and the edge.
Here are the major product releases and other highlights for the quarter, organized by product categories, to help illustrate how we are accelerating innovation across our businesses while expanding our market opportunities.
Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG)
To better execute on Microsoft’s mission, we focus our Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) efforts where we can have the most positive impact. To learn more about our latest initiatives and priorities, please visit our investor relations ESG website.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.