Alcatel-Lucent transforms A1 Telekom Austria’s network with innovative ultra-broadband technologies that will address future data demand
Dec 10, 2015
Paris, France, December 10, 2015
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is to transform the fixed ultra-broadband network of the Telekom Austria subsidiary A1, using its fixed access, IP routing and optical transport technologies. The deployment will enable A1 Telekom Austria to accelerate the rollout of high-quality, high-bandwidth services and deliver on the national broadband initiative goal of connecting 99 percent of homes at 100 megabits-per-second speeds.
Today already half of Austria’s population has access to data speeds of 100 megabits-per-second, but A1 Telekom Austria aims to increase network capacity and speed to deliver on the national broadband initiative goal, while ensuring all household multimedia needs are met in terms of capacity, access speed and quality.
To meet this objective, A1 Telekom Austria will deploy Alcatel-Lucent’s innovative G.fast and Vplus ultra-broadband access technologies, enabling the acceleration of fiber-to-the-building and fiber-to-the-Cabinet deployments while delivering substantially faster data speeds to subscribers using its existing copper infrastructure. Additionally the convergence of its IP and optical network, using Alcatel-Lucent’s IP core and routing technologies, will drive simplification and transform operations, allowing A1 to realize new cost efficiencies.
Key Facts :
- Alcatel-Lucent will become the exclusive supplier of ultra-broadband fixed access technology for A1 Telekom Austria.
Alcatel-Lucent’s DSL based technologies provide a simple and cost-effective means of delivering ultra-broadband access rapidly without the need for costly and time-consuming upgrades to existing in-building cabling. The technology includes:
7367 ISAM SX-16 sealed micro-node supporting G.fast
- 7302 and 7330 ISAM supporting Vplus
G.fast uses the final hundreds of meters of copper infrastructure extending into premises to achieve speeds of up to 1 Gbps aggregate. Alcatel-Lucent and the Telekom Austria Group conducted the world’s first trial of G.fast vectoring technology and connected the first customer using G.fast technology.
- Telekom Austria is one of the first to deploy and connect live customers using Vplus as part of committed effort to more effectively serve their subscribers needs. VPlus is a DSL technology that allows operators to achieve aggregate speeds of 200 Mbps and more over copper at distances of up to 500 meters and 300 Mbps over distances shorter than 250 meters.
- In addition to the Alcatel-Lucent IP core and edge routing technologies already installed in A1 Telekom Austria’s network, Alcatel-Lucent will introduce the compact, resilient and high-performance 7750 SR-a to further enhance network capacity and prepare the network for increasing data demands in the future.
- Alcatel-Lucent will also renovate A1’s WDM backbone using the 1830 Photonic Service Switch and 400G PSE wavelength technology together with GMPLS support, giving A1 a more agile, higher capacity optical network to deliver new services and meet future capacity demands.
- The integration of IP and optical transport networks enables operators to maximize operational efficiency, accelerate new services and manage networks end-to-end.
Marcus Grausam, Chief Technical Officer of A1 Telekom Austria said : “We are committed to providing our customers the highest broadband speeds and the highest quality of experience . Working with Alcatel-Lucent to transform our network we will remain at the forefront of technology in Austria and meet the needs of residents for years to come.”
Thomas Arnoldner, Country Senior Officer of Alcatel-Lucent in Austria said : “As leaders in fixed ultra-broadband, IP routing and transport technologies, we are collaborating with leading service providers such as A1 Telekom Austria to develop innovative ultra-broadband technologies that can deliver on the higher speeds and quality performance metrics their customers have come to expect. The A1 deployment of G.fast and Vplus is a prime example of how operators will continue to leverage a mix of next generation DSL technologies to meet their strategic goals in the most effective and efficient way.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.