TIM selects Nokia Networks for small cells and 3G/4G rollout
Via Nokia Newscenter
Dec 3, 2015
- Three-year turnkey deal covers radio access equipment, Nokia Flexi Zone and Flexi Lite small cells and services
- Subscribers to enjoy improved connectivity, network quality in 17 states
São Paulo, Brazil – 3 December 2015
TIM Brasil, the Brazilian subsidiary of Telecom Italia Mobile, has selected Nokia Networks to modernize and expand its 3G and 4G LTE networks in 17 states across the North, Northeast and Center West regions. Under the agreement, Nokia Networks will also provide its small cells products, as well as implementation, optimization and care services.
With this deal, subscribers of TIM Brasil will soon enjoy an overall improved mobile broadband experience with better coverage, enhanced voice quality and faster web browsing and downloads.
Key highlights of the deal:
- Nokia Single RAN Advanced platform based on the high-capacity, scalable and energy-efficient Nokia Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station for 3G and 4G technologies
- Nokia Flexi Lite Base Stations to enhance capacity and provide the best coverage in dense areas
- Nokia Flexi Zone Small Cells solution to provide almost limitless capacity for indoor and outdoor hotspots
- Comprehensive Global Services including Network Planning and Optimization, Implementation and Care to ensure a successful network upgrade and consistently high quality
Marco Di Constanzo, Head of Mobile Networks at TIM Brasil, said:
“We are extremely focused on delivering high-quality services and proud to introduce the most advanced technology in Brazil. The network modernization and expansion, coupled with the deployment of new solutions such as high-capacity small cells, will significantly improve the performance and capacity of our infrastructure where it matters most. Nokia Networks is our key partner in supporting these initiatives.”
Francesco D’Angelo, Customer Team Head at Nokia Networks, said:
“This project is another important milestone in Nokia Networks’ long-standing and well-established partnership with TIM Brasil. We will provide our innovative technology and a complete range of Professional Services so that TIM Brasil can offer best-in-class communications services to its customers.”
Did you know?
By 2019, Brazil could reach 150 million 4G subscriptions, equivalent to nearly half of the mobile connections in the country, according to the 4G Americas. The estimate assumes a compound annual average growth rate (CAGR) of 84.59% in five years.
- Webpage: Mobile Broadband
- Webpage: Nokia Flexi Zone Small Cells
- Infographic: Small Cell deployment and the evolution to ultra-dense networks
- Infographic: Nokia Flexi Zone Small Cells
TIM is the second largest carrier in Brazil, and the prepaid segment leader. It currently has more than 75 million customers, and holds a 26.97 percent market share in the country.
The company's mission is to connect society and care for each customer so that everyone can do more, enhancing users' lives through its communication services. Thus, in addition to focusing on innovation and accessibility, TIM prioritizes the quality of its network and customer service. Proof of this commitment is the R$14 billion investment earmarked for the Brazilian operations over the three-year period through 2017.
Transparency is also one of the carrier's pillars. TIM is the only company in the telecommunications industry listed on BM&FBOVESPA's New Market, recognized as highest level of corporate governance, in addition to being part of the Corporate Sustainability Index (ISE) and of the Carbon Efficient Index (ICO2). A highlight is the Open Doors project (www.tim.com.br/portasabertas), which allows consumers to keep pace with the actions made to enhance and improve the network and to get to know the true picture of TIM's coverage. Also worthy of note are the initiatives of the TIM Institute, which seek to create and enhance strategic resources for the democratization of science and innovation in Brazil. For more information, go to www.tim.com.br, www.twitter.com/timbrasil or www.facebook.com/timbrasil.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.