Arcep has selected the successful candidates for new frequencies, and opens the way for new operators
Oct 14, 2016
Paris, 13 October 2016
To further the development of superfast mobile access in France's overseas markets, on a proposal from Arcep the Government issued calls for applications for the allocation of new frequencies.
Arcep examined the 25 applications it received based on the five selection criteria listed in the tender document:
- The project's consistency and credibility,
- The consistency and credibility of the business plan,
- Contribution to digital regional development,
- Contribution to stimulating the market with affordable products adapted to new consumer habits,
- Job creation and investment.
Once its examination was complete, Arcep selected four successful candidates in each of the five geographical areas in question. Guadeloupe - Martinique St Barthélemy - St Martin French Guiana Réunion Mayotte Awardee No.1 Orange Caraïbe Orange Caraïbe Orange Caraïbe Orange Telco OI Awardee No.2 Free Mobile Free Mobile Outremer Telecom SRRSRR Awardee No.3 Outremer Telecom Digicel AFG Digicel AFG Telco OI Orange Awardee No.4 Digicel AFG Dauphin Telecom Free Mobile ZEOP Mobile BJT Partners
Successful candidates in each of the five geographical areas
The successful candidates will be allocated new frequencies in the following bands:
- 800 MHz (only the first three awardees);
- 900 MHz (only in French Guiana and in St Barthélemy and St Martin);
- 1800 MHz;
- 2.1 GHz;
- 2.6 GHz.
The procedure resulted in Arcep selecting a new entrant operator in several departments and territories:
- Free Mobile in Martinique, in Guadeloupe, in French Guiana and in Saint Barthélemy and Saint Martin;
- ZEOP Mobile (Océinde Group) in Réunion.
Today, Arcep is launching the final stage of the procedure, which consists of a dialogue with the operators to determine the positioning of each parties' frequencies in each of the bands. This will take several weeks. Arcep will then allocate the frequencies to the operators, with a view to enabling the commercial rollout of 4G services on 1 December 2016.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.