Alley – Verizon’s 5G incubator in NYC – showcases early 5G use cases
Via Verizon Wireless Newsroom
May 9, 2018
An important part of building the 5G ecosystem is bringing people together – identifying the entrepreneurs, academics and other innovators that will drive the development of tomorrow’s 5G use cases and giving them access to real 5G technology to help them develop, test and perfect their ideas.
At Alley, a curated community for creators in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, five of those thought leaders recently demonstrated the progress they’ve made since joining Verizon’s 5G incubator there in December 2017. Armed with unfettered access to Verizon’s pre-commercial 5G network installed onsite, they’ve been able to put their concepts to the test, refine them, and demonstrate the true power of this game-changing technology.
- ChalkTalk – Students and faculty from NYU are using interactive AR on mobile devices as a learning tool during live presentations, allowing students to interact in real-time with educational content in 3D.
- ReCoVR – Columbia University students and faculty are creating VR therapist-patient exercises focused on motor skill improvement to enable physical rehabilitation when the therapist and patient are at different locations.
- Arvizio – Developing immersive mixed reality collaboration tools that have the potential to improve processes and support remote workers in industries such as construction and engineering.
- BriefCam – Using 5G’s high bandwidth and speed to perform in-depth intelligent analytics of HD video to improve and understand the flow of cities, businesses and infrastructure.
- LiquidSky – Creating high-quality cloud gaming experiences that eliminate the need for hardware platforms and wired connections.
“These startups and universities are going way beyond discussions,” said Toby Redshaw, senior vice president, 5G Ecosystems, Innovation and Product Development for Verizon. “These are people getting dirt under their fingernails, building very, very cool solutions, and learning in a next-generation 5G incubator environment.”
Verizon’s 5G incubator at Alley is reshaping what startups and universities can do with high-speed, high-bandwidth and low-latency 5G connectivity as they develop use cases that can potentially change the ways people work, learn and play.
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.