Accenture launches 5G acceleration services at Mobile World Congress Americas
Sep 17, 2018
MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS AMERICAS, LOS ANGELES; Sept. 14, 2018 – To help accelerate the deployment of 5G network technology, Accenture (NYSE: ACN) has launched a new set of services for communications service providers (CSPs), network operators, device manufacturers and non-traditional mobile network operators – such as multiple-system operators, internet software and platform players and over-the-top content suppliers.
Accenture worked closely with leading companies across all areas of the communications industry to define the primary challenges slowing down 5G deployment. The most common of these include: spectrum planning and feasibility, use cases and new business models, device strategy, network deployment management and operational complexity.
To help the industry address these challenges, Accenture has created 5G Acceleration Services, which will initially focus on:
- 5G strategy, use cases, and business models
- Device innovation
- Network deployment approach
- Architectural and platform innovation
As part of the initiative, Accenture has created a set of specific capabilities to help deploy 5G successfully. These include, among others:
- 5G Assessment Tool: This tool helps clients score and determine their readiness across all aspects of 5G, including spectrum position in high-, medium- and low-ranges; core business strengths and “DNA”; monetizable use cases and strategy; device partnerships and network deployment capability; and organizational tools and structure.
- Methodology and Business Strategy for 5G Use Cases: Strategic services to help clients create agile business models, form targeted and robust ecosystems, while seeking new capabilities that impact competitive agility.
- Strategy for Device Innovation: Helping to create a 5G post-smartphone device strategy, leveraging Accenture’s wireless technology expertise, experience building smartphones and consumer electronics, broad industry partnerships, geographic diversity and experience in embedded software development.
- Network Deployment Acceleration: Helping clients accelerate the execution of their 5G network build and deployment activities by providing an analytics-driven intelligent command center approach and capability to support end-to-end coordination, process and data optimization, partner management, and workforce management.
- Network Operation and Maintenance: Helping to create a new operating model to enable the next generation of network architecture evolution while leveraging network vitalization, analytics, automation and artificial intelligence to simplify and streamline operations and activities across the day-to-day management of the network.
“More than an incremental step, 5G represents a fundamental transformation of the role that mobile technology can play in society,” said Tejas Rao, managing director and global 5G offering lead for Accenture’s network practice. “But transforming the networks so that business, the economy and consumers can reap the rewards is no easy feat. While 4G required tens of thousands of macro towers, rolling out 5G will require the deployment of millions of small cells – and therefore a different type of capital outlay for the network providers. That’s why we’ve created the 5G Acceleration Services.”
“Accenture 5G Acceleration Services provides our clients with a framework and a set of analytics powered tools to help ensure they’re making the right investments in the right areas,” said Jefferson Wang, managing director, Accenture Strategy, Communications, Media & Technology. “The new services will help clients create their 5G vision and start their journey to make it a reality.”
Sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos, plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox.