Nokia and China Mobile deliver extreme mobile data capacity and real-time video at major Shanghai motor race
Via Nokia Newscenter
Apr 18, 2016
- Companies deployed a dense small cell network using Nokia Flexi Zone, AirScale Wi-Fi, IP service routers and access switches meeting massive connectivity, capacity and quality demands at a global high-traffic event
- World’s first large scale implementation of Mobile Edge Computing and Edge Video Orchestration allowed spectators to access multiple real-time high-definition video feeds on their mobile devices
18 April, 2016
Shanghai, China – Nokia, China Mobile Group Shanghai Co., Ltd and China Mobile Communication Co., Ltd Research Institute, have delivered an immersive ultra-low latency, high-capacity and flawless mobile video experience to the spectators at a major motor race in Shanghai using Nokia technology, which combines Mobile Edge Computing with a ultra-dense heterogeneous network (HetNet) infrastructure.
High-traffic events present huge challenges to mobile operators as tens of thousands of people connect simultaneously to the network to access social media sites, watch videos and share their experiences. For this event, Nokia deployed its zone applications using a Mobile Edge Computing-enabled LTE network. China Mobile used Nokia’s leading Flexi Zone small cells and cloud-based AirScale Wi-Fi to deliver the speeds and latency required to meet all subscribers’ demands with superior quality.
Using Edge Video Orchestration over the Mobile Edge Computing platforms, spectators could access a selection of live video feeds on their mobile devices with close to zero latency. Video feeds from different angles of the race - including from a driver’s cockpit - gave spectators the unique opportunity to tailor their view and become immersed in the race in real-time.
Solution details at a glance:
- Nokia’s zone applications combines Mobile Edge Computing with high-capacity small cell based networks to allow operators to lower the costs of supporting mass events while offering a unique, tailored and outstanding quality mobile data experience.
- Nokia Flexi Zone small cells
- Nokia’s award-winning Flexi Zone Controller reduced the complexity of the dense small cell network to control interference, manage mobility and reduce signalling load on the core network.
- Nokia AirScale Wi-Fi combines gigabit wireless performance and deployment simplicity to allow mobile operators to seamlessly integrate Wi-Fi® with their existing networks and dramatically improve the customer experience.
- Nokia Services for HetNets allows operators to deliver the best performance from their dense macro and small cell networks.
Meng Xin, Deputy GM of Shanghai Mobile’s Optimization Center, said:
“As a global innovation leader we always strive to deliver the highest quality services to our customers. We set high expectations with a superb mobile data experience at the event in 2015 and we are pleased to work with Nokia again this year with ultra-high capacity small cells network offering our subscribers a unique real-time video experience.”
Mark Atkinson, head of small cells and Wi-Fi business line at Nokia, said:
“Today’s connected consumer expects high-quality mobile data service everywhere, not least in a very densely packed stadium. It is testament to our local services expertise and the strength of Nokia’s leading technology that we could exceed the expectations we set during last year’s event, combining an ultra-dense small cell network with Mobile Edge Computing to transform the digital experience for thousands of spectators.”
Did you know?
Last year 50,000 LTE subscribers attended the event which saw over 426 Gb of traffic on race day.
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.