NASCAR Team Joe Gibbs Racing Selects Juniper Networks to Speed Data Center Network Transformation
Aug 18, 2015
SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Juniper Networks (NYSE:JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that four-car NASCAR team Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) selected its next-generation switching and security solutions to rev up the team’s aging network infrastructure for better performance on and off the track.
Racing teams are increasingly leveraging technology to accelerate vehicle R&D, boost back-office performance and communicate reliably among drivers, pit crew and staff. Given that JGR manages nearly everything race-related in-house, including virtual wind tunnel testing, automated machining and 3D part printing, as well as sponsor logo printing, it requires a highly available network to support the multiple facets of its operations. The JGR team turned to Juniper Networks through its Elite partner Structured Communications, Inc., to build a highly resilient, reliable and secure network that provides connectivity at the racetrack as well as at corporate headquarters for support.
JGR’s crew works in three shifts, around the clock to prepare and support the team during major races like the NASCAR XFINITY Series Food City 300 at the Bristol Motor Speedway. As such, downtime is unacceptable in a sport where precision, resiliency and split-second reliable communications are essential. From analyzing car-performance data to providing feedback to the crew chiefs and ensuring reliable connection to the driver, JGR’s new network will blend on-track with off-track performance.
JGR’s data center network includes several key components of the Juniper Networks ® MetaFabric™ architecture, providing an open, smart and secure network infrastructure for increased performance.
- From start to finish, the implementation took 72 hours, with only 12 hours to update the core, giving JGR new visibility into its network to address the team’s most pressing resource issues.
- JGR deployed a highly scalable solution with Juniper Networks QFX5100 and EX4300 switches with Virtual Chassis (VC), as well as EX3300 switches, which reduce network complexity, increase flexibility and lower resource consumption. Additionally, Juniper VC provides a simplified, flattened network for JGR by enabling multiple switches to behave and operate as a single device. The change also provides the use of Link Aggregation (LAG) for link redundancy to improve uptime.
- To avoid network downtime issues, JGR implemented Junos® Space to automate the management of its Juniper switching and security products.
- Post-season, Juniper will also install SRX210 Services Gateway branch firewalls to help increase the protection of essential business assets, and will provide EX2200 switches to better connect the racetrack and headquarters teams for future seasons.
- Juniper’s solutions provide JGR with a network that supports the fast-paced world of racing that is increasingly being shaped by constant advancements in technology.
Additionally, Juniper is sponsoring the No. 18 JGR car driven by Daniel Suarez at the upcoming NASCAR XFINITY Series Food City 300 on August 21, 2015 at Bristol Motor Speedway.
“We have been incredibly impressed with the performance, ease-of-use and reliability of the data center we built in partnership with Juniper Networks. Our network is critical for research and development, data analytics and staying connected throughout the racing season. It is a vital component to developing the competitive advantage we seek in racing.”
- Jim Foley, chief technology officer at Joe Gibbs Racing
“Partnering with Juniper Networks allows Structured to offer our customers best-of-class technology that meets their specific needs. We were able to offer Joe Gibbs Racing a simple, reliable and easy to manage networking option that allows them to remain focused on winning races and not worrying about their infrastructure.”
- Danny Maxwell, sales director at Structured Communications, Inc.
“Joe Gibbs Racing is a cutting edge team that requires innovative technology to connect them around the clock and from any location. Juniper Networks’ switching and security solutions ensure the team won’t have to worry about dropped packets or failed connections and can focus on what they do best – winning."
- Mike Marcellin, senior vice president and chief marketing officer at Juniper Networks
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.