Juniper Networks Advances Software-Defined Secure Networks With a Breakthrough Virtual Security Portfolio
Apr 25, 2016
SUNNYVALE, CA --(Marketwired - April 25, 2016) - Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, today announced several breakthrough additions to its cloud and virtualized service offerings as part of its Software-Defined Secure Networks (SDSN) framework. These enhancements include a new compact and containerized virtual firewall called Juniper Networks® cSRX, a next-generation firewall providing advanced security services for Software Defined Networks, as well as a multi-core version of the Juniper Networks vSRX, the industry's fastest virtual firewall that is expected to be capable of reaching 100 Gigabits per second (Gbps). This speed is 10 times greater than the nearest competitor and creates new possibilities for using agile and flexible virtual firewalls.
As the scale and sophistication of threats continue to increase, next-generation security must be built around automated and actionable intelligence that can be enforced quickly to reduce risk and protect the network and its users. Juniper's vision for SDSN looks to tackle this need with an open threat intelligence platform and enforcement through its robust suite of physical and virtual firewalls, as well as network switches and routers. When combined with an open policy engine and global orchestration, users can set and enforce policy based on intent, either on premises or in the cloud.
Juniper is extending its SDSN offerings by unveiling the industry's first virtual firewall in a containerized form factor. The cSRX is expected to provide a cost effective way to wrap advanced security services around every workload and the ability to scale up to high multi-tenancy. Additionally, Juniper is announcing a massive increase in performance on its vSRX, which further extends its lead as the industry's fastest and most scalable virtual firewall. Both products are anticipated to enable the network to better detect and combat threats through increased performance, intelligence, and a higher density of services on the Intel® Xeon® processor family (x86 platform). These enhancements to Juniper's virtualized security portfolio extend the network and security administrator's ability to provision and scale firewall protection, enabling more enforcement points across the network to stop threats faster.
Juniper Networks cSRX
- Juniper's cSRX firewall provides advanced security services, including Content Security, AppSecure, and unified threat management (UTM) for providing security as a service in large multi-tenant cloud networks with the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO).
- The cSRX has feature rich security capabilities, low footprint and a microservices architecture that is expected to not only lowers the cost to customers, but also makes deployment throughout the network easier than ever before, without compromising performance.
- The cSRX takes advantage of Docker Container's low overhead and sub-second boot-up times to bring greater agility and elasticity to customers' virtual infrastructures.
Juniper Networks vSRX
- Juniper's multi-core version of vSRX provides linear scale of performance with each additional core. Using just 12 virtual central processing units (vCPUs) it was able to scale firewall throughput five times to achieve 100 Gbps, which will make it the highest performing virtual firewall in the industry.
- The multi-core vSRX is a high-performance virtual Next Generation Firewall (NGFW),
with full routing, firewall and L4-L7 security features.
- The vSRX provides scalable, secure protection across private, public and hybrid clouds in virtualized environments for high bandwidth customers and applications.
- The vSRX delivers high availability, granular security with segmentation capabilities between zones, organizations, lines of business and applications, as well as rich connectivity features like Network Address Translation (NAT), routing and VPN.
- Working closely with Intel, vSRX leverages the Open Source Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) software architecture, an open source set of libraries for fast packet processing, to take advantage of performance and quality of service benefits from the Intel Xeon processor family.
"As the security landscape continues to evolve, it is more important than ever to work together to combat cyber threats. These key additions to our security portfolio will further our Software-Defined Secure Networks vision and greatly benefit our customers. Our products provide the best opportunity to create secure networks through policy, detection and enforcement. We are excited to be releasing the most flexible firewall solutions in the market and continue to showcase our commitment to bringing SDSN to organizations across the globe."
- Kevin Walker, security CTO, Juniper Networks
"Juniper's new cSRX and enhanced vSRX will enable us to deliver deeper security services to our customers. The low footprint and high density advantages of the cSRX, will allow us greater leverage to secure east west traffic. The multi-core vSRX delivers high performance and the ability to handle large amounts of traffic, and will allow us to extend our disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS) solution-Push Button DR-to a much wider audience. We expect both products to significantly increase the benefits we deliver to our customers."
- John White, vice president of product strategy, Expedient
"Software-defined infrastructure is being deployed in data centers globally, delivering significant increases in service agility and cost optimization. Within these virtualized, software-based solutions, security must be pervasive, and Intel is committed to delivering security technology to fortify products like the Juniper Networks cSRX and vSRX." - Sandra Rivera, vice president, data center group and general manager, network platforms group, Intel Corporation
"We believe that security is the 'killer app' that will accelerate SDN adoption. The complement of SDN and security can solve one of the greatest problems enterprises have dealt with over the last 25 years of enterprise network expansion, an operationally efficient way to implement policy, detection and enforcement across the entire network. With its Software-Defined Secure Networks vision, Juniper is making a move in that direction."
- Mike Spanbauer, vice president, security, test & advisory, NSS Labs
"Juniper Networks is delivering significant scale and total cost of ownership advantages to its customers with the new cSRX, which fundamentally changes how security is deployed and illustrates the power of Software-Defined Secure Networks to provide a holistic network protection paradigm. Moreover, with the addition of our 100 Gbps vSRX, our security portfolio is further advancing the industry's highest performing virtual firewall."
- Mihir Maniar, vice president of security product management, Juniper Networks
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.