October 12, 2016, 07:30 (CEST)
- Business result for the third quarter 2016 will be significantly lower than company expectations. Negative industry trends from first half 2016, with weaker demand for mobile broadband, especially in markets with weak macro-economic environment, have further accelerated.
- Sales declined by -14% YoY to SEK 51.1 (59.2) b., driven by slower development in Segment Networks where sales declined by -19%.
- Gross margin declined to 28% (34%) following lower volumes in Segment Networks, lower mobile broadband capacity sales, and higher share of services sales.
- Operating income declined to SEK 0.3 (5.1) b., including restructuring charges of SEK 1.3 b.
- Current trends are expected to continue short term.
- All numbers are preliminary and unaudited.
- Conference call for analysts, investors and media will be held today, October 12, 09.00 CEST.
- Full report to be published October 21, approx. 07.30 CEST.
Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) today announced that the business result for the third quarter 2016 will be significantly lower than company expectations. The negative industry trends from the first half of 2016 have further accelerated, impacting Q3, 2016 numbers primarily in Segment Networks. The sales decline was mainly driven by markets with weak macro-economic environment such as Brazil, Russia and the Middle East, impacting both coverage and capacity sales in those markets. In addition, capacity sales in Europe were lower following completion of mobile broadband projects in 2015.
Jan Frykhammar, President and CEO says:
"Our result is significantly lower than we expected, with a particularly weak end of the quarter, and deviates from what we previously have communicated regarding market development. The negative industry trends have further accelerated affecting primarily Segment Networks. Continued progress in our cost reduction programs did not offset the lower sales and gross margin. More in-depth analysis remains to be done but current trends are expected to continue short-term. We will continue to drive the ongoing cost program and implement further reductions in cost of sales to meet the lower sales volumes."
Key numbers (preliminary and unaudited)
|SEK b.||Q316||Q315||YoY change||Q216||QoQ change|
|Of which Networks||23.3||28.8||-19%||26.8||-13%|
|Of which Networks||-0.3||2.8||-109%||1.6||-116%|
|Operating income excl. restructuring charges||1.6||6.1||-73%||3.8||-58%|
Ericsson will, as previously communicated, announce its full report for the third quarter 2016 on October 21, at approximately 07.30 CEST.
CONFERENCE CALL FOR ANALYSTS, INVESTORS AND JOURNALISTS
Following today's announcement Ericsson will host a conference call for analysts, investors and journalists starting at 09.00 CEST (08.00 BST in the UK, 03.00 EDT in the US and 16.00 JST in Japan).
Sweden: +46 (0) 8 5664 2694 (Toll-free Sweden: 0200 883817) International/UK: +44 203 008 9801 (Toll-free UK: 0808 2370059) US: +1 646 502 5116 (Toll-free US: 18558315945)
Please call in at least 15 minutes before the conference call begins. With a large number of callers, it may take some time before you are connected.
Live audio webcast of the conference call is also available here
Replay of the conference call details will be available approximately one hour after the call on www.ericsson.com/press and www.ericsson.com/investors, where supporting presentation will also be available.