22nd Global Standards Collaboration meeting convenes world’s leading standards bodies in Montreux, Switzerland
Mar 29, 2019
Sophia Antipolis, 28 March 2019: The 22nd meeting of the Global Standards Collaboration (GSC), a high-level gathering of the world’s leading information and communication technologies (ICT) standards organizations, took place from 26-27 March 2019, hosted by IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) and ISO (International Organization for Standardization) in Montreux, Switzerland. GSC members shared their priorities and focused on Smart Sustainable Cities and AI (Artificial Intelligence).
Cities face a huge task and significant challenges in choosing suitable standards for Smart City requirements. GSC members shared their views on standards relevant to Smart Sustainable Cities and Communities. Members encouraged continued discussion, particularly on the development of guidelines and standards to enable seamless data exchange and interoperability.
GSC members shared their ongoing activities on AI and machine learning and their applications in domains such as 5G, healthcare and industrial manufacturing, recognizing different regional needs. Potential issues related to security, privacy, trustworthiness, ethics, societal concerns and regulation were given specific consideration.
GSC members may cooperate to address the ethical and societal aspects of ICT systems, services and technologies. The next GSC meeting will be held in the United States, hosted by TIA.
Formed in 1990, the aim of GSC is to enhance global cooperation and collaboration regarding communications standards and the related standards development environment for today’s converged ICT ecosystem. GSC meetings provide a platform to strengthen collaboration on high-priority standards efforts of mutual interest to GSC participants, with the intention of identifying and capitalizing on synergies.
The GSC includes the following standards bodies, all of which were represented at GSC-22:
- ARIB - Association of Radio Industries and Businesses (Japan)
- ATIS - Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (U.S.)
- CCSA - China Communications Standards Association
- ETSI - European Telecommunications Standards Institute
- IEC - International Electrotechnical Commission
- IEEE-SA - IEEE Standards Association
- ISO - International Organization for Standardization
- ITU - International Telecommunication Union
- TIA - Telecommunications Industry Association (U.S.)
- TSDSI - Telecommunications Standards Development Society, India
- TTA - Telecommunications Technology Association (Korea)
- TTC - Telecommunication Technology Committee (Japan)
Stay up to date with the latest industry developments: sign up to receive TelecomTV's top news and videos plus exclusive subscriber-only content direct to your inbox – including our daily news briefing and weekly wrap.